Plant? Trace fossil?

bockryan

Hi all - reposting from the FB group as I know some people here are more active on the Forum: Any ideas on this one? Cassville Shale, so Carboniferous/Permian boundary in Southwest PA, found alongside mostly classic Carboniferous plant fossils like Neuropteris and Macroneuropteris, so a terrestrial/swamp setting. Trace fossil of some kind? A plant? An animal? Geologic? No idea!

Difficult to photograph as the relief is pretty shallow - the spiral pattern stands out, detail is relatively poor but hopefully the pattern is unique enough to get an ID

Ryan

453504808_10229071747596640_1936982972202801645_n (1).jpg

452951188_10229071746476612_8149826630184973626_n.jpg

453234234_10229071746916623_222789675625623007_n (1).jpg

Edited by bockryan

A welder might get the urge to grab the chipping hammer to tap off slag. :)

I think it's actually the feeding trace Zoophycos though.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Just now, Rockwood said:

A welder might get the urge to grab the chipping hammer to tap off slag. :)

I think it's actually the feeding trace Zoophycos though.

I looked at Zoophycos, but it says that it is known from marine deposits, and most often deep marine deposits, which I why I ruled it out. I saw that it is possible in shallower depths but I haven't seen it associated with a terrestrial deposit.

8 minutes ago, bockryan said:

I looked at Zoophycos, but it says that it is known from marine deposits, and most often deep marine deposits, which I why I ruled it out. I saw that it is possible in shallower depths but I haven't seen it associated with a terrestrial deposit.

Swamps aren't really that terrestrial. They were commonly flooded be marine transgressions and storms as well. 

Edited by Rockwood
spelling

Zoophycos has been recorded from shallow and non marine environments. This doesn't quite look like the Zoophycos i am familiar with but i don't have a better suggestion right now

• I Agree 1

One has to keep in mind that trace fossils, especially at the ichnogenus level, are based on morphology and not the identity of the maker. 

It could be a fern fiddlehead.

Context is critical.

26 minutes ago, Missourian said:

It could be a fern fiddlehead.

That would explain the slag look better than a trace. And it looks like those could be pinnules. I think you have it.