Bone shard from Big Brook, NJ

PAJim

Seeing what your thoughts are on this? Looks like bone, not sure if modern or not. 

20240730_193632.jpg

20240730_193648.jpg

20240730_193721.jpg

Some more photos that are focused and zoomed with better (brighter) lighting would help. To me, it looks similar to turtle bone. You can try a burn test to determine if it is fossilized or not. 

Edit: please include size as well

Edited by patelinho7
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Bone shard from Big Brook, NJ

Oof.  Seems like a tall task to id this piece of bone, I'd just assign it as 'chunk of bone' and leave it at that. :)

• I Agree 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

I'm not quite convinced, yet, that it is bone. It could be, but the texture seems a little off to me. @Carl knows the brooks and bones pretty well. 

• Thank You 1

The first picture shows distinctive bone texture to me, and I agree that it has the vascular large pore structure that I often see in large turtle shells.  

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I'm not quite convinced, yet, that it is bone. It could be, but the texture seems a little off to me. @Carl knows the brooks and bones pretty well. 

I'm definitely seeing bone but there is almost no chance of IDing it nor saying if it's fossil or not.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

I am going off of the flat surface myself. I have seen this exact thin flat surface with intricate grooves and striae on a number of turtle carapace/plastron fragments (no way to tell which usually) from early and late Cretaceous. But I agree, other than turtle shell, there’s no way to tell what species the fragment belongs to.

I think it's modern unfortunately. The burn test smells like the old burning of hair.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1