Good evening folks,

Last week, on my visit to the great state of Montana, I made this sketch of the enormous bird Gastornis, from the Early Paleogene. These days considered a distant relatives of ducks and geese, Gastornis thrived in the hothouse world of the Paleocene and Eocene in a range that stretched through Europe, Asia and North America. Historically portrayed as carnivorous, often seen hunting the contemporary small horses, recent consensus suggest that plants made up most of its diet. Ignore the text next to drawing that says "Great Gray Owl", the paper I drew this on was in an Audubon notebook with illustrations of more recent birds.

Initial version with just ink.

BWGast.thumb.jpg.ef0c0583b99be8f16150bf4ae274a830.jpg

A little bit of colored pencil, with inspiration from living birds including Muscovy Ducks and Screamers among others. 

Gast_crop.thumb.jpg.284e6773dd0fef84551fe8ade03cc2c8.jpg

• Enjoyed 10

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Gastornis Pen Sketch

Good job!

I love the markings!

• Thank You 1

Cheers!

James

On 8/2/2024 at 4:23 PM, trilobites_are_awesome said:

Good job!

I love the markings!

Thanks!

• Enjoyed 1

I am VERY impressed.. I only learned the term Gastornis last Monday, on Vacation in Connecticut..I think you will enjoy this,  as I enjoyed your drawings...   Jack

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

13 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I am VERY impressed.. I only learned the term Gastornis last Monday, on Vacation in Connecticut..I think you will enjoy this,  as I enjoyed your drawings...   Jack

Most definitely enjoyed the thread, thanks Jack! I've got to get down to the YPM and check out their new displays. Also kind of a funny coincidence that one of Cope's discoveries is on display in Marsh's old museum!

4 minutes ago, patelinho7 said:

Beautiful sketch! Do you have more :fingerscrossed:

Here are a couple of pencil sketch I posted from a while ago! I don't have much in terms of paleoart posted on the forum, but I have plenty to share. I think I'll post a few more soon.

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, PaleoNoel said:

Most definitely enjoyed the thread, thanks Jack! I've got to get down to the YPM and check out their new displays. Also kind of a funny coincidence that one of Cope's discoveries is on display in Marsh's old museum!

Yes,  I also once read a book about the "Bone Wars".  They pretty much detested each other. I was equally surprised,  but I guess time (and death) tends to heal all wounds. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Yes,  I also once read a book about the "Bone Wars".  They pretty much detested each other. I was equally surprised,  but I guess time (and death) tends to heal all wounds. 

I suppose it does! Plus the beef was interpersonal rather than inter-institutional as far as I'm aware. Thus I would assume that the YPM has no qualms about displaying Cope's finds, especially because it could lend itself to intrigue and further conversation. 

• I Agree 1

Man, I suck at drawing dinosaurs. You guys are so good at it!

Very nice! Always love to see some fantastic Paleoart, especially with inspiration from modern animals!

• Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...

Love the detail! I anticipate seeing more.

• Thank You 1