Is this from a type of ray?

Charlieshoal

• New Members

... and size? Found 20 years ago  Austin, Tx .

Fossil period?

IMG_1978.jpeg

IMG_1977.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

I think they are ptychodus teeth, a shell crusher shark.

They are a little bigger than a quarter.

• I Agree 4

Yup. Ptychodus sp.  Most likely Cretaceous in age.

Maybe @Jared C  @Mikrogeophagus  or @LSCHNELLE  will be able to give us a species name.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Is this from a type of ray?

definitely Ptychodus teeth.

Cheers!

James

They are both a pretty large size for Austin area. The one on the left is heavily worn. My WAG is that it's Ptychodus mammillaris. The one on the right needs a side angle view to see the crown height to make a more firm determination. But, I think that it might also be that same species.

Probably it is Coniacian in age. But there is a small chance that it could be Turonian.

Edited by LSCHNELLE

I think this is South Bosque material (Turonian). Hard to ID off pics, but perhaps P. marginalis on the right.

@LSCHNELLE here are more finds by this person that make me think Turonian (perhaps some Bouldin Flags stuff mixed in)

• I Agree 1

@Mikrogeophagus

I thought about Ptychodus marginalis. But, had no side view to see crown height. Yet that is definitely a possibility based on another view posted. Not sure about the other material. It definitely looks more Turonian and South Bosque. The way the ridges end quickly at the margins is the reason I thought it might be Ptychodus mammillaris.