Ankylosaurus tail club?

Psmith8547

• New Members

When I picked this up it was so dense and heavy, I thought it was just a rock.  Cleaning all the calcium carbonate etc. off I think it is a bit more than half of a tail club.  Found in southeast Montana. Picture one top rough surface about 4-5 inches long, 2-3 inches thick and wide; picture two bottom smooth surface; It is an unsual shape, very dense, has some well-organized structure (hard to show but I tried in picture three.  Also found in general 2-3 foot area what appears to be tendonous tail pictures 4-5. Reading shows most common of this family in this formation to be Euoplocephalus.  One thing that throws me is the shape if it is half a tail club.  Any thoughts?

IMG_4794.HEIC IMG_4797.HEIC IMG_4798.HEIC

IMG_4794(1).jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

IMG_4798.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  .heic files don't work on the forum, so you'll have to post them as .jpeg.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

• New Members

Shoot, sorry.

So 1. picture from top  2. Picture from broken side  3. Bottom  4. detail from side 5. and 6. rocks

IMG_4794.jpeg

IMG_4795.jpeg

IMG_4797.jpeg

IMG_4798.jpeg

IMG_4799.jpeg

• New Members

I wish I could show what it looks like under the microscope, lots of fine parallel lines, some other features that really look biologic.  Not heavy enough to be iron but very dense.  Undersurface is too smooth (though micropatterns visible under microscope) to be an iron concretion.  The convex edge is pretty convincingly regular too.  I know I have a vivid imagination but am positive it is biologic in origin.

I’m sorry but I’m seeing nothing biological about it. My vote is for rock…

• I Agree 1

Not biological in origin, its a rock, however closely you examine it.

It is not bone.  What I see on the oval surface is a set of vertical  ridges. This suggests a very worn ammonite fragment. The presence of sufficient limestone calcium carbonate says marine site.  I would look in that area for other examples.  I would be expecting marine fossils.

36 minutes ago, val horn said:

This suggests a very worn ammonite fragment.

There is no internal structure to support this conclusion. I can not see any pattern or structure too suggest the outside looks like any ammonite either.

I think your pareidolia is worse than the op's is.

• Thank You 1