Fosilized Egg? & Somthing Else?

jenn11-11

the first one appears to be a quartzite cobble, the second one looks like it could be a section of a stromatolite.

Brock

Hello Jenn! It certainly is great to see another Hoosier collector.

Sorry 'bout the egg shaped rock. Those nasty glaciers sure beat some of the quartzite into

round egg-like shapes in our state. (Evil glaciers! Beating down the landscape & covering up all the fossil bearing strat with nasty till! :angry: ) Stream erosion makes some even look more like eggs.

The other piece tho,... I agree it sure looks like a stromatolite. (But I really don't know of many stroms found in our state.) If you collected the piece near the Huntington area (and even farther near Wabash & Ft Wayne) you can run into localized deposits of fibrous banded quartz. Years ago I found a bunch near the little town of Lagro, took them to a geologist friend to get identified. I even joked about making them into cabs and selling them as Indiana agate. (I may have actually done it but they looked so dull and gray - would have looked like limestone jewelry.)

But thanks - it always makes me happy to see good Indiana finds. Drop me a note some time - perhaps we can compare cool Indiana fossil sites.

> Harry