meadowbrook

• New Members

While hiking, i found a thick trail of many rocks like shale and (slate?). But then, a black stripe caught my eye so i picked it up. Help i still don’t know what this fossil is. Heck, I don’t even know if it is a fossil…

IMG_9135.jpeg

It would help us to help you if you could tell us more precisely where you found this, since there are a lot of places where one can go hiking in Australia. Also a few well-focussed photos of the object from different angles would be necessary. One can't see the details very well in this one lonesome photo. Please go back and read the instructions for posting in the id section which are clearly stated at the top. It always amazes me that so many newbies miss out on that.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• New Members

6 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

It would help us to help you if you could tell us more precisely where you found this, since there are a lot of places where on can go hiking in Australia. Also a few well-focussed photos of the object from different angles would be necessary. One can't see the details very well in this one lonesome photo.

Sorry, as you can tell, I am extremely unexperienced. I only occasionally find fossils, as most of the time I am either indoors or not actively seeking them.

I found these along a sandy hiking track, that was wide enough for a truck to drive through. As for city, it was Sydney. I prefer not to give out the exact location for privacy reasons.

Here are some more photos:

IMG_9141.jpeg

IMG_9140.jpeg

• New Members
13 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

It would help us to help you if you could tell us more precisely where you found this, since there are a lot of places where one can go hiking in Australia. Also a few well-focussed photos of the object from different angles would be necessary. One can't see the details very well in this one lonesome photo. Please go back and read the instructions for posting in the id section which are clearly stated at the top. It always amazes me that so many newbies miss out on that.

I will take sharper and brighter pictures later because I was in a hurry. I also have general bad camera quality (apple’s products be like that) so please don’t expect 4k quality.

Thanks for the additional information and the last photo is better. The bedrock in and around Sydney is of Permian and Triassic origin and amongst the fossils which can be found there are plant ones, which is what I now think this is. I can't tell you however what species it might be, but maybe one of our Australians knows better. @Paleoworld-101 ?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• New Members
17 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for the additional information and the last photo is better. The bedrock in and around Sydney is of Permian and Triassic origin and amongst the fossils which can be found there are plant ones, which is what I now think this is. I can't tell you however what species it might be, but maybe one of our Australians knows better. @Paleoworld-101 ?

Ah, I see. Thanks for the help and info, and I did suspect it was a reed-like plant prior to coming to the internet for help. It does remind me of those flat, rectangular reed-like plants I see around here.

They are fossil horsetail stems :) Probably Early Triassic in age. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas