Stratford Hall Fossil Hunting Excursion #2!

Atoothsatooth42

Finally got on another tour at the illustrious Stratford cliffs! It was a fantastic day for hunting, cloudy, mid-80s and low tide! With all of these great conditions however, the gravel bars were unexpectedly slim, and the finds were a bit on the lower side compared to last time around. Regardless, I came home with quite a few nice finds!

The trip was with the museum staff this time around, but same story as far as how it was ran, show up, sign waivers, drive down to the outlook point, a safety talk, and off to the beach! My first substantial find was this very nice nearly 1.5 lower mako, along with the standard nice bulls and tigers mixed in. I tried both sides of the beach this time, and found that it was about equal in finds.

I stayed most of the allotted time on the beach. Found another couple very nice lower hemis, along with a HUGE shamer hemi. Big bummer but I will take it anyway I can get it. I had a pretty interesting black and blue tour guide butterfly lead me to my finds for certain parts of the tour as well! 

I also came across what I believe to be the smallest Meg that I have ever seen, it also happens to be my possible first that I have ever found in the 15 years I have enjoyed this hobby! Great day all in all, and I can’t wait for the fall trips to start up!

IMG_1520.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1524.jpeg

IMG_1526.jpeg

IMG_1529.jpeg

IMG_1531.jpeg

IMG_1541.jpeg

IMG_1543.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

Limenitis arthemis southern group. 

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Atoothsatooth42 said:

Great day all in all, and I can’t wait for the fall trips to start up!

You and me both! My last trip in the field was met with 3 ticks and a massive spider web in the face. I couldn’t be more excited for the fall and winter collecting season.

Congrats on another great hunt! Great finds, you have been blessed by the butterfly with more good finds to come.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Great Job! I wouldn't say on the slim side. :thumbsu:

Are all those surface finds? Do they allow sifting?

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, automech said:

Great Job! I wouldn't say on the slim side. :thumbsu:

Are all those surface finds? Do they allow sifting?

Fair point! I may have been spoiled from my first trip to Stratford 🤷🏻‍♂️ it certainly was a decent day overall. These are all surface finds. Some people bring sifters, but I think surface collecting here is just a little better than sifting. Could be wrong though!

Gotcha. If I make it this fall, I will utilize both. 

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, automech said:

Gotcha. If I make it this fall, I will utilize both. 

It’s a good move, i usually have a small wire basket that I keep in my backpack in case I get the urge to sift.

• Enjoyed 1