Claw/Canine ID help

stormykats

• New Members

Found in a baldwyn County, mississippi creek while fossil hunting 

Unsure if modern or fossil or what it could be?

Beginner hunter

found-at-baldwyn-ms-w-m-browning-cretaceous-park-v0-l46sjrsi9led1.jpg

found-at-baldwyn-ms-w-m-browning-cretaceous-park-v0-pnc2zhsi9led1.jpg

Looks like a racoon canine.

Could be modern. Could be really old.

Creeks and rivers can color bones fairly quickly.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It might be raccoon... Here is a photo of both upper and lower canines.  The upper is 1.2 inch (30 mm) and the lowers tend to be smaller down to .8 inch (20 mm),  Please provide the length on yours. Note the ridge on the left side of the upper canine. Does yours have a similar ridge ?

Most modern mammal teeth are white/yellow like humans.  and a river can quickly turn it brown/black.  Your light spot on the enamel may imply modern,

teeth 30

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• New Members
1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

It might be raccoon... Here is a photo of both upper and lower canines.  The upper is 1.2 inch (30 mm) and the lowers tend to be smaller down to .8 inch (20 mm),  Please provide the length on yours. Note the ridge on the left side of the upper canine. Does yours have a similar ridge ?

Most modern mammal teeth are white/yellow like humans.  and a river can quickly turn it brown/black.  Your light spot on the enamel may imply modern,

teeth 30

I don't have a way to measure but attached a better size guide in this photo compared to a dollar bill!

It's completely smooth on all sides and I can't feel any sort of ridge or see one.

Now that you mention the white part I definitely think it's a modern mammal tooth 20240805_192356.thumb.jpg.b752d1dda79074fa77d41f0c4172c2a9.jpg

Your tooth is 22 mm or 9/10th of an inch....

MaybeRaccoon.jpg.4b9aef45550af5f10dad9263f7d23757.jpg

There are a couple of small mammals like Raccoon and Opossum which have canines close to an inch. Just because raccoons are more common, it is likely that any one inch canine found in Florida is raccoon.

You can search the Internet for "raccoon canine fossil tooth" and see hundreds like this , especially on for Sale sites..

Here is one of them..

RaccoonOnebay.jpg.edbbaa7b225551cc194cdb2f76c2803f.jpg

When ever I pick up a one inch canine, without distinguishing features (like the ridge that identifies raccoon upper canines) , I sort of know I can have a good guess but can never be positive.  

It happens,  just go out and find another tooth... hopefully larger

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• New Members
30 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Your tooth is 22 mm or 9/10th of an inch....

MaybeRaccoon.jpg.4b9aef45550af5f10dad9263f7d23757.jpg

There are a couple of small mammals like Raccoon and Opossum which have canines close to an inch. Just because raccoons are more common, it is likely that any one inch canine found in Florida is raccoon.

You can search the Internet for "raccoon canine fossil tooth" and see hundreds like this , especially on for Sale sites..

Here is one of them..

RaccoonOnebay.jpg.edbbaa7b225551cc194cdb2f76c2803f.jpg

When ever I pick up a one inch canine, without distinguishing features (like the ridge that identifies raccoon upper canines) , I sort of know I can have a good guess but can never be positive.  

It happens,  just go out and find another tooth... hopefully larger

Thank you so much for your insight! I do hope to find more teeth on my adventures.  

At a dollar store, that dollar bill could buy a ruler. ;) 

• Enjoyed 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Could also be opossum.

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea