Royal Tyrrel Museum, Drumheller Formation, Alberta Canada.

Parasaurolophus Walkeri

The best museum I’ve ever been to. Yes I uploaded the max file size, bcos there is too much cool stuff to show u guys.

the coolest thing I saw there is the Borealopelta, which is beautifully preserved.

IMG_1702.jpeg

IMG_1683.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg

IMG_1644.jpeg

IMG_1638.jpeg

IMG_1639.jpeg

IMG_1634.jpeg

IMG_1629.jpeg

IMG_1632.jpeg

IMG_1626.jpeg

IMG_1620.jpeg

IMG_1616.jpeg

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1597.jpeg

IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1593.jpeg

IMG_1594.jpeg

IMG_1590.jpeg

IMG_1587.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1584.jpeg

IMG_1586.jpeg

IMG_1582.jpeg

IMG_1579.jpeg

IMG_1571.jpeg

IMG_1566.jpeg

IMG_1549.jpeg

IMG_1548.jpeg

IMG_1550.jpeg

IMG_1547.jpeg

IMG_1546.jpeg

IMG_1545.jpeg

IMG_1544.jpeg

IMG_1542.jpeg

IMG_1539.jpeg

IMG_1515.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing them!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Love the photos of Dunkleosteus and and Ankylosaurus.  They are not in museums that I have frequented recently..  Thanks for sharing.

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Posted (edited)

:) 

Edited by Parasaurolophus Walkeri

Did you see the huxley tyrannosaurus specimen? Ive heard they have it on display and am curious about how good the preservation in the scollard is.

• Enjoyed 1

Posted (edited)

@dingo2  Yo that the black T. rex? Its head is a cast, because they wanted it in a cool position, but it's really well preserved other than that. These are the best 3 photos I took.

IMG_1474.jpeg

IMG_1475.jpeg

IMG_1476.jpeg

Edited by Kane
  • Enjoyed 1

Is the 2021 hillside hadrosaur "mummy" there yet? I read that Royal Tyrrell was supposed to take possession once it was excavated but haven't seen anything since.

18 hours ago, dingo2 said:

Did you see the huxley tyrannosaurus specimen? Ive heard they have it on display and am curious about how good the preservation in the scollard is.

4 hours ago, Parasaurolophus Walkeri said:

@dingo2  Yo that the black T. rex? Its head is a cast, because they wanted it in a cool position, but it's really well preserved other than that. These are the best 3 photos I took.

IMG_1474.jpeg

IMG_1475.jpeg

IMG_1476.jpeg

If I remember correctly, the black beauty (the T. Rex in the picture of the message I quoted) is from the Willow Creek formation in the Crowsnest Pass area. The Huxley T. Rex would be the large Tyrannosaur next to the Triceratops and ankylosaur in the Dinosaur Hall. 

It would be this T. rex, in the picture that @Parasaurolophus Walkeriposted. The hips in the bottom of that picture are the real fossil, and the rest of the skeleton is partially casts and partially original fossil. It's fun trying to spot which bone is cast and which is real when you see it in person!

IMG_1638.jpeg

@Joy_Fossils Yeah black beauty and the huxley rex are not the same. Ive seen the big t rex display that represents the huxley rex before, but it is not the actual fossil and I assume it looks almost nothing like the fossil itself other than being the same size. I asked because I read something on their facebook page saying that the huxley fossil is on display. If youre not looking for it specifically, Id imagine it would be one of the less impressive fossils they have there and could be easily overlooked. The scollard preservation tends to be pretty bad.

Edited by dingo2

@dingo2 Yes, the real fossils are the less impressive ones. The site for the APS K-PG boundary field trip is very close to the site where the Huxley T. Rex was excavated. We were able to talk to the landowner, and he told us about its excavation and the display at the Tyrrell museum. The actual fossils in the display are some vertebrae, some metatarsals, the hips, and some other bones. Apparently some of the fossils that were collected are not stable enough to be mounted. 

• I found this Informative 2

Ah, the Tyrrell (with 2 Ls)... Been a long time since I was there, probably late '80s, when I was a kid. Been wondering how it has changed since then, tho my memory of it has gotten a bit fuzzy by now no doubt. I do remember they had a small Burgess Shale display, did you happen to see that?