Shaun-DFW Fossils

In North Texas, we finally had enough of a dry spell to see the previously flooded creek waters recede, so 100-degree heat or not, I was magnetically drawn to the sweltering algae-covered rocks of my favorite local creeks. 
my first stops were Oliver Creek and Elizabeth Creek west of I35W near Justin, TX (2 separate days). Oliver covers a number of formations, but I was along the Duck Creek and Fort Worth formation sections. Estimated weight carried up a steep embankment after a shorter 1/3 mile hike: 50 pounds. Mostly eopachydiscus ammonites between 8-12 inches diameter, and a couple of nice mortoniceras ammonites positioned a few inches higher than the eop. One has ELECTRIC sutures (shown under UV).

next up is Elizabeth Creek, a FW formation/Weno(?) spot with various elevations each delivering different fossils. This was the bear of a hike. Almost a mile during mid-day, and I had the biggest mortoniceras I’ve ever recovered, 14 inch diameter. I had to carry it because my backpack was full. Then I stopped because a 10-inch mort that I missed initially was poking out of a gravel bar. So then I had 40 pounds on my back and another 40 in my hands (I weighed them when I got home), total weight 80 pounds. I probably lost 10 pounds of water from sweating (exaggeration), but I think I am ready to start a fossil hunters boot camp. I had to stop and sit down every couple hundred feet..no wonder! I also ended up with a super nice neithea pectin, but mostly mortoniceras ammonites. No echinoids, strangely. 

That trip took it out of me, well, at least for a couple of days. Next stop was about a week later, closer to home. This spot is almost strictly Fort Worth formation, and it has the best and biggest echinoids I’ve found, including a3-inch holaster in perfect condition. This trip resulted in one of the nicest nautiloids I’ve found, and several nice ammonites as well. I have my work cut out for me on the preparation front!

oliver creek:

IMG_4433.jpeg

IMG_4444.jpeg

IMG_4526.jpeg

IMG_4554.jpeg

IMG_4656.jpeg

IMG_4658.jpeg

IMG_4726.jpeg

IMG_4766.jpeg
Elizabeth creek (except heteromorph, which was Oliver):

IMG_5017.jpeg

IMG_5014.jpeg

IMG_5007.jpeg

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4896.jpeg

IMG_4678.jpeg

IMG_4666.jpeg

IMG_4562.jpeg
local Johnson County FW Formation finds (I’m unwilling to name the creek):

IMG_5135.jpeg

IMG_5137.jpeg

IMG_5139.jpeg

IMG_5136.jpeg

IMG_5132.jpeg

IMG_5133.jpeg

IMG_5102.jpeg

IMG_5106.jpeg

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5107.jpeg

IMG_5109.jpeg

IMG_5098.jpeg

IMG_5099.jpeg

Edited by Shaun-DFW Fossils
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 12

Wow just Wow! That load in those high temps would have melted me and my fossil dog. 
AK hiker

• Enjoyed 2

My oh my! What a load! Methinks you might soon be running out of space to display your myriad finds.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I would say you earned a gold for each day and location. Great work Shawn! 
No pain! No gain!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Very nice ammonites!

Cheers!

James

Nice haul!

That first bivalve is a treasure+

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Those are some really nice finds! Especially like the detail on some of those echiniods.