Nautilus ID with geode - Red River near Hendrix OK

moogz15

• New Members

I'm pretty new to fossil collecting and would love some ID and preparation help on this nautilus. I was doing minor cleaning and discovered the center is a geode. Would it be worth it to try and cut this fossil in half?

20240811_181109.jpg

20240811_181121.jpg

20240811_181143.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Beautiful specimen!  That geode section is nice.  As to cutting it or not, it's all personal preference.

Me personally, I would leave it intact.  It's already very aesthetically pleasing. 

One thing that you could do to improve it; try cleaning the algae/moss and dirt off.  Use some hydrogen peroxide if the algae is stubborn. 

To take it up another notch, you can seal it with Paraloid B-72 or other consolidant if you happen to have access to some.

• I Agree 3

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Yes, very nice specimen. As to slicing, as Jaybot notes, that's your personal preference, but judging by the crystallization, the chances are not that bad that the septa inside are also crystallized. Nevertheless, you're always taking a chance on such maneuvers.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

If you already have a better specimen of this species from the same location go ahead and slice it. If not then maybe wait until you do. Like the others said, it's your choice. I would wait.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!