First-Time Fossil Hunter from Brisbane: Seeking Advice for a Weekend Trip Near Melbourne

jdow02

• New Members

Hey everyone,

I'm from Brisbane and will be in Melbourne this weekend, and I’m really excited to try fossil hunting for the first time! I've got about 2 to 4 hours to dedicate to the hunt, and I'd love some advice on where to go. Since this is my first time, I’m not entirely sure what to expect, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I’m particularly interested in marine fossils like echinoids or shark teeth, but I’m open to anything interesting that I might come across. If anyone has some favorite spots near Melbourne that are beginner-friendly, I’d love to hear about them. I’m looking for a place that’s not too difficult to access, as I’ll be new to this and don’t want to get in over my head.

Also, if there are any tips on what tools to bring, what to look out for, or even just general advice on how to make the most of the experience, I’d really appreciate it. I’ve done a bit of reading, but I know that nothing beats firsthand advice from people who know what they’re doing.

Thanks so much in advance for any recommendations and tips you can offer. I’m really looking forward to this adventure and hope to find something cool!

Members with some spots to suggest should contact the OP using the PM system. If members have more generic advice about tools and collecting, do post here. The topic will not be locked, but keep advice focused on collecting tips SVP:)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me