Fossil Collecting Legal Issues

frozen_turkey

Hay guys me again.

So me and my boy scout troop are heading to colorado this thursday and my dad wants to do some fossil colecting with me while we are down there.

So i was wondering if fossil collecting was legal in San Isabel National forest (were camping there)?

Or are is there a site that i can collect at that is near the air force base that is close by (were spending a night or 2 there)?

OR is there a site there a site near the forest or in the genral area that is fruitful????

I have spent a couple of hours rsearching this questions without luck. So if anyone can help me and my dad would be greatful. Also if someone is worried that i would totaly raid their site then you don't have to worry with me. I have a weight limit to what i can take and i most likly would never get back to the site (I live on the other side of iowa). So just pm me if you dont want anyone else to know about it and your secret is safe with me.

-Frozen

I tend to avoid anything with the word National in it (National Forest, National Monument, and especially National Park!!!) although some National Forests have their own rules. I would recommend calling up their main office and asking them if collecting is allowed.

However, I do know there are a TON of mineral collecting sites throughout the area, for example, see here: http://salida.com/salida-best-of/best-of-salida-rockhounding.html

Infact, I don't really know of any fossil sites in the area aside from random petrified wood you might happen across.

Have fun with minerals! Oh, and there is a lost spanish treasure in the area as well.

-YvW

I agree with veomega... National just means "no collecting", but invertebrates may be allowed. As V suggests, call the main office and ask. You won't be too far from the famous Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. Note the word National in tyhere too. They have a nice display And there is the Clare quarry right there in townof Florissant that lets you collect insects and leaves on their place. If you've never been, it is worth tit. They charge you minimum amount and give you a box of rock and a knife and you canslit shale til the cows come home. Also the dinosaur museum in Woodland Park is nearby. Never been there, but they tell me its nice.

The San Isabel NF seems to lie mostly in the Coroado Mineral Belt. that emans igneous rock... no fossils. Lots of minerals nearby that can be collected. Ruby Mountain along the Arkansas River is a classic.

Goddluck and have fun

Thanks guys for your help i do need to expand my minral colection. But im not experianced in mineral collecting and are there any tips any one has?

-Frozen

Oh, so you're actually very far east and essentially outside of Colorado springs?

There are several fossil sites around there if I recall and you're pretty close to Florissant. Also, the Manitou formation has plenty of fossils and is extensive through the eastern area: http://www.paleocurrents.com/

Contact Pike National forest for collecting info. I've collected Amazonite and Smokey Quartz in the area as well. Just look at the rocks where you camp; if its a pegmantite you have minerals, if its a reddish limestone you have fossils.

-YvW

Oh, so you're actually very far east and essentially outside of Colorado springs?

There are several fossil sites around there if I recall and you're pretty close to Florissant. Also, the Manitou formation has plenty of fossils and is extensive through the eastern area: http://www.paleocurrents.com/

Contact Pike National forest for collecting info. I've collected Amazonite and Smokey Quartz in the area as well. Just look at the rocks where you camp; if its a pegmantite you have minerals, if its a reddish limestone you have fossils.

-YvW

Thanks of the help!!!

Me and my dad thank you.

-Frozen

When you get there, go to a ranger station and ask a ranger about the area. If there are legal sites, they would know and they would be inclined to tell you the safest place especially since you'll have a boy scout troop with you.

I would listen to jpc and check out that private Florissant site as well as visit the monument if you're in the area. I'm still kicking myself for not going when I was going through Colorado at least once a year during the 90's.

When you get there, go to a ranger station and ask a ranger about the area. If there are legal sites, they would know and they would be inclined to tell you the safest place especially since you'll have a boy scout troop with you.

I would listen to jpc and check out that private Florissant site as well as visit the monument if you're in the area. I'm still kicking myself for not going when I was going through Colorado at least once a year during the 90's.

The troop will be doing something else will me and my dad go off for a day or two.

-Frozen