Publication - New find of Globidens alabamaensis cranial remains described from the Ozan Formation

pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

Globidens alabamaensis is one of the rarest mosasaurs known from the United States of America, with most finds existing of teeth alone. In our latest article we describe newly discovered fossil remains that can be attribute to the species.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/383117647_New_remains_of_the_mosasaur_Globidens_alabamaensis_from_the_North_Sulphur_River_of_Texas

Authors: @Praefectus @BrennanThePaleoDude @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

Abstract: Here, we report on the important discovery of two well-preserved maxillae from the durophagous mosasaur Globidens alabamaensis Gilmore, 1912. The maxillae were found in the Ozan Formation embedded in the North Sulphur River channel near Ladonia, Fannin County, Texas, USA. Both maxillae preserve nearly complete tooth rows. In North America, Globidens is amongst the rarest mosasaurs, with remains consisting predominantly of isolated teeth and jaw fragments.

This has been another excellent project to work on with you guys, and I grateful to have been part of this journey! Thanks go to Courtney Travanini for making her discovery of the Globidens fossils available for study, and to Nathan Dehaut (@ekhyl_ on Instagram) for his artistic reconstruction.

Globidensalabamaensismaxillae.jpg.0112dc2d17b8222b7f69d3445aec1bd2.jpg

Left maxilla in labial view (top) and right maxilla in labial view (bottom).

Globidensalabamaensissinglerootedtooth.jpg.cc6338eb53df96aa21249d0d72632bd2.jpg

Associated rooted tooth in labial view.

Globidensalabamaensisgermtooth.thumb.jpg.43a35836b37417b270ad48d7376eeb8a.jpg

Lingual view of the right maxilla showing germ tooth in 7th tooth position.

Globidensalabamaensisartisticreconstruction.jpg.8b94998425b6e9e2d5fc132db525caa2.jpg

Reconstruction of Globidens alabamaensis Gilmore, 1912. Illustration by Nathan Dehaut.

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 9
  • Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Amazing specimen!  Globidens is such an interesting mosasaur.

Congrats on the publication as well!

• Thank You 2

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Congrats to all 3 of you! Always awesome to see a Texas mosasaur in the news as well.

• Thank You 2

It truly makes me smile inside and out when I see our members this engaged on peer reviewed, paleontology literature! Congratulations to Courtney on her discovery, and Kudos to Trevor, Brennan, Alex and Ashley on this informative publication!!!

• Thank You 2
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Amazing fossil and fantastic job studying it and writing it up, you guys!

• Thank You 2