Talha Jaleel

Sorry for the previous post with no images, I accidentally clicked enter and can’t seem to delete it.

Anyways, a little bit of info regarding the post:

The following images contain a fossil of a possible sea urchin (I believe) that I found in Bahria Town, Karachi Sindh, Pakistan.

Bahria Town has rock formations from the oligocene, miocene and Pliocene era, ~33-2MYa, anyways, the area itself was a sea basin that was formed around the time the Indian and Eurasian plates collided, and  creatures of the now ancient Tethys ocean essentially thrived in the zone.

Furthermore, the creatures (of specific location) includes certain bivalves, scallops, crustacean claws, clams, sea urchins (more obviously sea urchins). Oddly the area seems to be greeted with more than 1 species of sea urchin - I found three different types of sea urchins in the area, not just 1.

Some things to take notice of is the build of the given fossils, they seem to be quite thin with some obvious asymmetry, unlike generic sea urchins.

Furthermore, one of them seems to have been completely crushed by sediment rock (as its structure its evidently broken I believe it was during the time of its existence).

The first three images include the fossil I believe to be from a rare/new species, please observe the details on it, and the last is the sea urchin that was squashed. 

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_0836.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

First one might be Arbacia and the second fossil I think it's Eupatagus.

Edited by Andreik

34 minutes ago, Andreik said:

First one might be Arbacia and the second fossil I think it's Eupatagus.

I agree with your identification of Eupatagus for the second one, for the first one, Arbacia might be correct, I’m not too sure because of the poor condition mine is in. Thanks for the help! :fingerscrossed:

Hi,

We are on an international forum, I had to search for where this city was that seems to be in Pakistan. It would have been good to know.

For the first, the little we see may correspond to an Arbacia but it is very incomplete, and I can add nothing for the second. Ideally, other more complete copies should be found as they show more discriminating characteristics.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

We are on an international forum, I had to search for where this city was that seems to be in Pakistan. It would have been good to know.

For the first, the little we see may correspond to an Arbacia but it is very incomplete, and I can add nothing for the second. Ideally, other more complete copies should be found as they show more discriminating characteristics.

Coco

Thats what Im hoping to find further on in my trip here at Pk. Will post any updates if something is found, thanks.