Anyone know what genus and specie this bivalve belonged to?

Talha Jaleel

Found in Bahria Town, Karachi Sindh.  Pakistan. 33-2 MYo, the hills were a formed by the result of the Indian Eurasian tectonic plate collision, the (at the time)  basins were filled by the Tethys sea, now rich in many bivalves of sort, crab fragments, echinoderms, clams and possibly more. 

IMG_0805.jpeg

IMG_7F0FCAC0-60E4-4C10-8AD0-55D8CF955AF7.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

It is a Pecten with a bunch of ribs... say maybe 22-23... In Florida we had a version called Carolina Pectens (early Pliocene) that look a lot like this...

For your fossil, I just did a google search of Pecten & Karachi and came up with a name

https://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=394326

Volachlamys singaporina   found on plains of Pakistan during the late Miocene... It might be or might not... You need a specific skill.. someone who has studied marine organisms in Southern Asia... 

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Note on the tags: Is this a first one ;) ?

Otherwise I agree with pectinid bivalve.

Franz Bernhard

Hi,

Please indicate the COUNTRY of origin of your fossils in all your requests.

And as Franz suggested, it would be appropriate to put keywords in the tags, they are used for research, so they have their importance.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Please indicate the COUNTRY of origin of your fossils in all your requests.

And as Franz suggested, it would be appropriate to put keywords in the tags, they are used for research, so they have their importance.

Coco

Can you give me some examples of keywords to add? Well era is a given, country too as well as type of fossil; bivalve, echinoid and so on.  Anything else worth adding? 

For a good research to succeed, I think we must put in the tags the country, the county, the nearest big city, the formation when we know it, the age of the sediments, what we think it is (sea urchin, carnivore, crab etc...). This already gives good indications and if someone does research on the fossils of your country (which we see only very rarely here) he will fall on your subjects, who can also be fed by these visits.

But all this information must also be put in the text with the photos because many members do not look at the tags. In addition, the photos must include a ruler to give the size of the fossils and it is specified whether it is in cm or inches. And we number the photos to make it easier to answer.

With all this information, there is a good chance that our most specialized members will respond quickly and efficiently ;)

Do not hesitate to submit your other findings :look:

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Talha Jaleel said:

Can you give me some examples of keywords to add?

Now it is very good, thank you!

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Coco said:

For a good research to succeed, I think we must put in the tags the country, the county, the nearest big city, the formation when we know it, the age of the sediments, what we think it is (sea urchin, carnivore, crab etc...). This already gives good indications and if someone does research on the fossils of your country (which we see only very rarely here) he will fall on your subjects, who can also be fed by these visits.

But all this information must also be put in the text with the photos because many members do not look at the tags. In addition, the photos must include a ruler to give the size of the fossils and it is specified whether it is in cm or inches. And we number the photos to make it easier to answer.

With all this information, there is a good chance that our most specialized members will respond quickly and efficiently ;)

Do not hesitate to submit your other findings :look:

Coco

Ill be sure to add all of this to my next posts, thanks for the constructive criticism :tiphat:

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 2