Kaden

I recently found this rare russian trilobite (Hoplolichoides Conicotuberculatus) online for a price I couldn't pass up. But it was not shipped correctly and it got damaged in the process. Is this anyone who knows about trilobite prepping and repair who can fix it or give me some pointers on fixing it myself?

20240815_232837.jpg

20240815_232821.jpg

20240815_232830.jpg

20240815_232827.jpg

Are the shipping people playing football with your package?!

• I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Isotelus2883 said:

Are the shipping people playing football with your package?!

Usually no problem, if it is packed properly.

How was it packed?

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

You'll have to figure out where all the pieces came from and then glue them back using small streaks of liquid cyanocrylate glue, a pair of tweezers, calm hands and a lot of patience. And make sure you know exactly how they should fit before you apply the glue.

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

9 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Usually no problem, if it is packed properly.

How was it packed?

Franz Bernhard

It was only secured inside of a Tupperware container by one side of the matrix. So it was flopping all around inside of the container. The cardboard box had no indication of fragile contents at all. Lesson learned I guess.

20240816_125157.jpg

20240816_125140.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

You'll have to figure out where all the pieces came from and then glue them back using small streaks of liquid cyanocrylate glue, a pair of tweezers, calm hands and a lot of patience. And make sure you know exactly how they should fit before you apply the glue.

Do you have recommendation on which brand works best? 

21 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Do you have recommendation on which brand works best? 

There's no great difference in my opinion other than the type of dispensers which are used. Super glue by any other name :) Just make sure it's liquid rather than gel.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

51 minutes ago, Kaden said:

It was only secured inside of a Tupperware container by one side of the matrix.

Thanks! Theoretically, thats the proper way for such specimens, I think. @piranha@Kane, thank you!

53 minutes ago, Kaden said:

The cardboard box had no indication of fragile contents at all.

Such indications only motivate stuff to kick that box around. It was ok the way it was

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Be careful with superglue to make sure you get the bits joined exactly right.  Every seam must be completely clear of any dirt or dust, and the pieces must line up perfectly.  Super glue is very hard to remove or undo once it has set, which is very fast.  You might be better off to use something reversible, such as a 20% paraloid B-72 solution.  If you mess up, you can dissolve that in acetone and re-do the repair.

Don

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

There's no great difference in my opinion other than the type of dispensers which are used. Super glue by any other name :) Just make sure it's liquid rather than gel.

Thank you for the info 👍

• Enjoyed 1

I would hold the seller accountable, and inquire about a return, refund, or repair if that is of interest. I have shipped a lot of spiny bugs, and never had an issue.

• I Agree 1