Brevicollis

Hello, I've just bought this 8cm long, certainly pathological, rooted moroccan Mosasaur tooth. It has some weird, standing out striations, and a split, extra carina. It certainly appears not prognathodontine to me, but it looks more like a Halisaurine mosasaur tooth in my opinion. And please let us focus on the crown, and not the possibility that the root might be fake, this time :)

Thanks for any help !

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon, @Praefectus, what would be a mosasaur tooth ID topic without your tags...

Screenshot_2024-08-17-12-49-03-351_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-17-12-37-25-273_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-17-12-39-56-711_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-17-12-39-40-681_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-17-12-38-49-196_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-17-12-37-59-848_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Edited by Brevicollis

My account and something about me :

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

Im just a guy who really loves fossils

How many carinae does the tooth have, and where are they located?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Posted (edited)

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon One prosterior carina at the backScreenshot_2024-08-17-12-39-56-711_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.73b80d20952826e43c8c268c8db11100.jpg

And the pathological anterior split carina wich appears it doesnt even belong there.

I dont know if the standing out enamel striations count as carinae too, but I doubt it.Screenshot_2024-08-17-12-38-49-196_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.4857c7c89d320541b3951d662689a3fa.jpgScreenshot_2024-08-17-12-49-03-351_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.5aec12b12d10179f7469a3dcebc9f944.jpg

Edited by Brevicollis

My paleoart :

1 hour ago, Brevicollis said:

One prosterior carina at the back

Yeah, that's what I suspected.

1 hour ago, Brevicollis said:

I dont know if the standing out enamel striations count as carinae too, but I doubt it.

No, they wouldn't.

I think this is a T. atrox palatal tooth. And, indeed, pathological...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

Hooray, it just arrived !
I'm more than happy with it, those pathologies are great and look soooo good when held in the right angle :Jumping:

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

All those striations are also serrated, are those then considered carinae ?

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1400.jpeg

IMG_1401.jpeg

IMG_1402.jpeg

IMG_1403.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

My paleoart :

13 minutes ago, Brevicollis said:

All those striations are also serrated, are those then considered carinae ?

I'd say so. Kind of starts looking like a pliosaur tooth this way. Very interesting specimen! Have you seen this, @Praefectus?

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon I dont know if that helps or why I did that, but I just measured the serration density per mm. On the pathological extra carinae its 5/mm at the start and end, and then it morphs into 3/mm in the areas between.

On the prosterior carina its completly 5/mm, nothing else. I'll add pictures soon.

My paleoart :

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon Here are they :

prosterior carina IMG_1417.thumb.jpeg.15c42e852b73be004862bf6d493c9b27.jpegIMG_1418.thumb.jpeg.4246d94911242732682a294eb213f997.jpegIMG_1419.thumb.jpeg.e8a67812366f771c89c2a22b53049938.jpegIMG_1429.thumb.jpeg.7e10fd7fb3127f8c4403458c83e2a238.jpegIMG_1430.thumb.jpeg.7c35cfb4bc7f9569a292d559435734ec.jpegIMG_1431.thumb.jpeg.e6ab12c7b4891e752aec859e6aa9d866.jpeg

Now the extra carinae :

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1408.jpeg

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

IMG_1412.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1420.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1423.jpeg

IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1427.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg
I have tried my best taking photos of them, but its kinda hard without a good microscope. Thats why the good ol magnification glasses and my good Ipad camera were used to take these photos. I hope theyre good enough to tell more !

Edited by Brevicollis
  • Enjoyed 2

My paleoart :

3 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

What the hey is going on with that tooth, man! Looks like it's got small carinae all over the place...! :o @Praefectus

Yes, you're right, its actually really covered in small carinae all over the place !

There are even more, I've noticed while taking the pictures 😅

Edit : In fact, I was able to find 18 extra carinae, I counted only the serrated ones, and I found only two real, unserrated, enamel folds. And I bet, that I probably missed plenty more, as how small they are.

Carinae count in total : 19 I could find !!!

But I dont think I could call this tooth Stelladens mysteriosus, right :default_rofl: ?

Altough I'll call it the "king" of carinae !

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon, could this tooth something you've never seen before ? Or something you'd inspect further with your collegues ?

Edited by Brevicollis
  • Enjoyed 2

My paleoart :

This is definitely an interesting tooth and something I'd like to keep an eye on, as it could be either pathological - it's a known fact that reptile teeth can sometimes develop additional carinae, albeit 19 seems rather extreme! - or something new altogether. Such as, much like I speculated before, mosasaurs moving into the niche previously occupied by pliosaurs and marine crocodiles. Who knows. Unfortunately, a single tooth doesn't tell us a whole lot, nor would purely dental material be sufficient to describe a species off of if it were indeed a new type of animal. At the same time, it's exactly for this reason that you'd want to build up a reference collection of similar pieces, so that you may eventually start to comprehend what exactly is going on...

Curious piece! Take good care of it!

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Unfortunately, a single tooth doesn't tell us a whole lot, nor would purely dental material be sufficient to describe a species off of if it were indeed a new type of animal.

Hrm hrm...

I posted about a similar tooth a while back, but after beeing saddned that it wasnt a Stelladens mysteriosus, I began to hate mosasaur pathologies and left the tooth, wich was sold shortly after. But now I am really interested in mosasaur pathologies, and instictly look for greater ones, and its fun !

This prognathodontine tooth is only supposed to have one prosterior carina, but has, just like my tooth, the same unusual, serrated? striations on the anterior side, wich could also contain those small ones, that begin, but dont stretch very far before they end.

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon, could this be, if a new species, a tooth of that ? Screenshot_2024-07-05-23-22-53-382_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-07-05-23-20-27-680_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-07-05-23-23-16-550_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-07-05-23-35-10-413_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-07-05-23-24-37-443_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-07-06-11-43-57-900_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Also, as I have quite a big budget right now, I wouldnt really mind searching and buying other, similar teeth to provide better pictures of them, and contribute my efforts into the mosasaur paleontology :)

Edited by Brevicollis
The mosasaur fever got me

My paleoart :

How about we could make this a thread, where members who also saw mosasaur teeth with unusual serrated, not belonging there stirae, could post pictures of those teeth so the experts can have a look at them ?

I think thats a great idea, and it could also help determing if thats really a pathology, or a new species of mosasaur !

Any opinions on this idea please :rolleyes: ?

Edited by Brevicollis

My paleoart :

3 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Take good care of it!

I'll do !
I already found a good spot for him in my showcase, right besides my first ever mosasaur tooth that I owned, in the center of the marine reptile section :wub:

IMG_1450.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

My paleoart :

19 hours ago, Brevicollis said:

Hrm hrm...

I posted about a similar tooth a while back, but after beeing saddned that it wasnt a Stelladens mysteriosus, I began to hate mosasaur pathologies and left the tooth, wich was sold shortly after. But now I am really interested in mosasaur pathologies, and instictly look for greater ones, and its fun !

This prognathodontine tooth is only supposed to have one prosterior carina, but has, just like my tooth, the same unusual, serrated? striations on the anterior side, wich could also contain those small ones, that begin, but dont stretch very far before they end.

I think it's easy to wrongly estimate the presence of auxiliary carinae on low-quality vendor photographs like these, and I would therefore suggest this is just another one of those P. cf. solvayi specimens, with the light in the pixelated photograph bouncing off in such a way as to suggest a bit of a wavy pattern. Seen it plenty of times before. I wouldn't expect this to be a pathological tooth.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, Brevicollis said:

I just saw this tooth, Mosasaurus hoffmannii ? It has an auxiliary carina, but only a small one above the base.

Screenshot_2024-09-11-20-46-10-696_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

M. beaugei. Too prismatic for M. hoffmannii