Is these Spinosaurus teeth real or composited?

Good day to all members! I am looking for a nice Spinosaurus aegyptiacus  tooth, no smaller than 8cm and as well preserved as possible. I know well that the market is full of composite or fake finds, especially when it comes to larger teeth. And here I am again asking you for advice on these 2 teeth for sale. They both seem genuine to me, but I wanted to ask you for help since I still have a lot to learn. Also regarding the conditions, keeping in mind that the most important thing is to buy the fossil I simply like the most, I would like to ask your opinion on which of the two teeth you consider the best preserved considering that teeth in this size are not cheap. Both are described as natural without restorations. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me their opinion:)

Screenshot_20240818_123826_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240818_123832_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240818_121338_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240818_121333_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240818_121327_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240818_121322_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240818_121316_Chrome.jpg

Tooth 1 looks good, real in my opinion.

Tooth 2 seems more suspicious in my opinion. The crown is real, but the root seems weird. Not clean, covered in matrix, it may be added.

Maybe @Phos_01 could be more helpful than me here.

Edited by Brevicollis
Tagging someone on a PC didnt work
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

My account and something about me :   

My still growing collection :

My paleoart :

I'm just a young guy who really loves fossils  YOUTH MEMBER2.jpg

29 minutes ago, Brevicollis said:

Tooth 1 looks good, real in my opinion.

Tooth 2 seems more suspicious in my opinion. The crown is real, but the root seems weird. Not clean, covered in matrix, it may be added.

Thank you very much for your reply! So you think that the part of the root that I have now circled in the pic was added and that they left the matrix at that point to hide the manipulation?

Screenshot_20240818_121316_Chrome.jpg

58 minutes ago, Brevicollis said:

ooth 1 looks good, real in my opinion.

This is correct. The first one is a good solid tooth. It only has a repaired crack. But overal nice preservation. 

the second one has a good crown but indeed some part at the root is added to make it appear bigger. Its very common that they do this. 

i would go for the first one if you had to choose between one of these. Also keep in mind Spinosaurid teeth of this size are very common. 

IMG_5784.jpeg

• I Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

This is correct. The first one is a good solid tooth. It only has a repaired crack. But overal nice preservation. 

the second one has a good crown but indeed some part at the root is added to make it appear bigger. Its very common that they do this. 

i would go for the first one if you had to choose between one of these. Also keep in mind Spinosaurid teeth of this size are very common. 

IMG_5784.jpeg

Thanks so much for the reply. Well, now I would say that between the two teeth the choice is easy:Wink1:. I know that these are very common fossils, but I have seen that at the same level of conservation the selling price for finds larger than 8 cm is much higher.

I have also seen that some teeth, described by the sellers as natural and having intact enamel, are differentiated by the vertical grooves that are very common in the dentition of the Spinosaurus. Some have them very marked, in others they are practically absent (e.g. pics below). Does this depend on the degree of preservation, the position of the tooth within the mouth or the cleaning/restoration of the tooth?

Screenshot_20240818_150649_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240818_150812_Chrome.jpg

On 8/18/2024 at 3:09 PM, LauraMedea said:

Does this depend on the degree of preservation, the position of the tooth within the mouth or the cleaning/restoration of the tooth?

It does not depend on the preservation, more of the exact type of Spinosaurid. It is pretty clear more then one type of Spinosaurid lived at what is now know as the KemKem beds. But still very little is officialy known today. The big example with clear vertical lines would be to some Sigilmassasaurus. 

I would always look for a tooth with as much as no restoration done to it, and very high preservation. The bigger they are the more expensive. A 5cm mint tooth could also be something very nice. Heres a 5cm one of mine, it just a glued crack at the tip. Some of them have real nice orange / red colors also. 

47c53493-3ab5-4f44-ab52-e814dec0e4b4.jpg

On 8/20/2024 at 4:10 PM, Phos_01 said:

It does not depend on the preservation, more of the exact type of Spinosaurid. It is pretty clear more then one type of Spinosaurid lived at what is now know as the KemKem beds. But still very little is officialy known today. The big example with clear vertical lines would be to some Sigilmassasaurus. 

I would always look for a tooth with as much as no restoration done to it, and very high preservation. The bigger they are the more expensive. A 5cm mint tooth could also be something very nice. Heres a 5cm one of mine, it just a glued crack at the tip. Some of them have real nice orange / red colors also. 

47c53493-3ab5-4f44-ab52-e814dec0e4b4.jpg

Thanks for the clarification regarding the morphology of the tooth, I also pay as much attention as possible to the conditions of the fossils I would like to purchase. Your Spinosaurus tooth is beautiful, thanks for sharing. I'm looking for the tooth that I like and that is within my budget, I hope to find it.

• Enjoyed 1