Mix and Match from Recent Trips

bockryan

Hi everyone! Wanted to share a pretty wide variety of finds from some recent trips over the Summer.

First, I had the chance to go to NAPC in July which was an amazing experience - lots of great talks and posters, including one based on fish fragments and some other cool fossils found by a few forum members in the Needmore formation in WV. I understand a few other forum members made presentations as well, which I got to check out. The conference included several field trips that I went on as well, I am still organizing my finds but a few are included here. Also have had a lot of success at various Pennsylvanian Llewellyn Formation sites, some finds from Penn Dixie that have prepped out over the Summer, and some other finds I had handy that I don't think I've posted.

Edit - I was 90% done with all the labels and then my computer randomly restarted. Will fix them :) For now just enjoy the pictures I suppose!

1.jpg

Brachiopod from Deer Lake Tavern - Middle Devonian: love the little details on this one

2.jpg

Graptolite from Mint Springs, VA - fun little spot that is on the way to a lot of localities for me. Nothing but graptolites but what's there is fairly nice.

3.jpg

A nice chunk of goniatite from Penn Dixie - doesn't show the sutures unfortunately

4.jpg

A fern I put back together (mostly) from Ambridge - still a good spot but have been having less success lately

5.jpg

Good sized Nautiloid from the Maysville roadcut with crystals - love finding these

6.jpg

Graptolite from Penn Dixie - prized find from DWTE this year

7.jpg

A lovely gift at NAPC from the wonderful folks at ESCONI :)

8.jpg

Coral from the construction piles around my parents' new house - lots of little things like this in the gravel from the glaciers

9.jpg

More lovely ferns from Centralia 

10.jpg

Centralia - not the best preservation but something different from the usual forms

11.jpg

More plants from Centralia

12.jpg

Hash from another of the NAPC field trips - this one to the Mississippian Marshall Sandstone, which is a fun glacially moved deposit 

13.jpg

Bryozoans from the Bluefield Formations in WV

14.jpg

A nice gastropod from Deer Lake

15.jpg

More Bluefield bryozoans

16.jpg

Nautiloids from the Marshall Sandstone, along with other fragments

17.jpg

Bivalves from the Marshall - very abundant at the locality 

18.jpg

Fun Ordovician trilobite hash and an inarticulate brachiopod from Wilder, KY

19.jpg

Cones (?) from Centralia, could also just be bark impressions, unsure.

20.jpg

Annularia from a different locality, lovely silver preservation

21.jpg

More ferns from the same locality as above

22.jpg

Plants!

23.jpg

More plants!

24.jpg

Still a plant, but something a little different, have not looked to try IDing yet. 

25.jpg

A different view of the same one as above

26.jpg

Another somewhat poorly preserved but interesting Centralia find - usually don't find "articulated" branches

27.jpg

Seeds or pods of some kind

28.jpg

My favorite of the whole bunch

29.jpg

And Alethopteris - would be nice to find a bigger one

Edited by bockryan
  • Enjoyed 5

I think I spotted some Mississippian fossils from Michigan in there? ;-)

Some very attractive and interesting finds, especially the ferns. Also love the bivalves and gastropod internal mold. Thanks for sharing these. Are #2 and #6 graptolites? 

• Thank You 1

16 hours ago, NickG said:

I think I spotted some Mississippian fossils from Michigan in there? ;-)

I did manage to get a few despite that quarry being baking hot!

13 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Some very attractive and interesting finds, especially the ferns. Also love the bivalves and gastropod internal mold. Thanks for sharing these. Are #2 and #6 graptolites? 

They are! One from Mint Spirngs, VA and the other in the gray shale is from Penn Dixie, which apparently aren't common.

In the KY piece, is the inarticulate brachiopod you are referring to the circular object? If so, that is the bryozoan Aspidopora.

• Thank You 1