mr fossil

Is this petrified wood? These were found in a sandstone Triassic formation. After sanding down a portion of what seems to be petrified wood and looking at it under a microscope I can see it is composed of sand grains fused together, can this happen to petrified wood? Additionally some branches or trunks seem to be hollow from the inside with the outside being smooth and the inside having the bark texture, in other words it seems inverted, what can explain this. Could it be an imprint fossil? They are also unusually dense for their size.

thank you for your time and effort!!

IMG_6624.jpeg

IMG_6633.jpeg

IMG_6635.jpeg

IMG_6637.jpeg

IMG_6652.jpeg

IMG_6654.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

You have exterior molds of wood probable deposited in a marine unit. Some of the exterior of the wood may also be preserved. 

Note bulb-like structures that are the sediment-filled burrows of clams in the wood which are called Teredolites. See Cretaceous one that I found in southern Oklahoma.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredolites

IMG_1426.png

IMG_1425.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

4 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You have exterior molds of wood probable deposited in a marine unit. Some of the exterior of the wood may also be preserved. 

Note bulb-like structures that are the sediment-filled burrows of clams in the wood which are called Teredolites. See Cretaceous one that I found in southern Oklahoma.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredolites

IMG_1426.png

IMG_1425.jpeg

Wow! That’s incredible thank you very much, however why is the exterior mold of the  wood darker and made of a different material than the rest of the sedimentary rock?

Probably iron which is attracted to the carbon in the wood.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 minute ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Probably iron which is attracted to the carbon in the wood.

That’s incredible,

thank you for your time!