Hey all

I was offered this tooth as a trade. I don’t know much about Megalodon tooth, does everything look ok? Is the root real too? Seller told me it’s 14,5cm, found in South Caroline, dated to Pliocene. 

Any help is welcome!

IMG_1464.png

IMG_1463.png

Looks good to me, but wait for a few more opinions.  

• Thank You 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

Looks good in first glance, better more clear photos would be welcome. I want to see the right frond side of the root. And better views of the blade

Its missing a few serrations from what I see due to wear / damage what impacts value, and the side is good, but not huge. Megalodon teeth from 6inc + are worth much more, just to keep in mind. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

It is a handsome example and desirable, as long as there is no monkey business. None is perceived from the provided photos. A quick search at the popular auction site will provide a glimpse at the $ value of similar size/condition examples. They are plentiful fossils, but their popularity among serious and casual collectors makes for much demand, hence price. An idea of the $ involved will enable a comparison to the "worth" of your piece to be traded. Good luck, have fun. 

• Thank You 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks for the opinions.

I just got a message back, letting me know that there was a repair done at the root of the tooth (in the middle apparently). I can’t really see it to be honest, it looks nicely done to my eye. However I will look around online how this affects the value… 

Thanks for the tips and opinions above! Here are some better pictures. Looks like an appealing specimen to me :)

IMG_1473.png

IMG_1474.png

IMG_1475.png

On 8/21/2024 at 6:08 PM, DV77 said:

(in the middle apparently). I can’t really see it to be honest, it looks nicely done to my eye

It has been done nicely and professionally indeed, I don't spot it neither. Perhaps with a good UV light, but most likely the whole root has been colored after the resto. Now it's up to you. It remains a nice teeth, however to some collectors, restored fossils are worth much less. Also in this case I would have rather have it as it was found, with perhaps a little damage to it. But to some it's much nicer and complete now. Its also good that the seller has stated this before you purchased it, in many cases collectors post their fossils here and find out its not what they thought it would be. 

Goodluck! 

Edited by Phos_01
  • Thank You 1

Here is a 4 inch Meg that has been professionally repaired...  Where do you think the repair occurred?

IMG_0961.thumb.JPEG.f9f12991116db31f9a7ee9e73775f6bc.JPEG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Beautiful tooth jack!  I like the color. 

9 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Where do you think the repair occurred?

IMG_5981.thumb.jpeg.45af59af999902c7f3df8fccca55c9f9.jpeg

• I Agree 3

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

The OP’s tooth is also very well restored.  I can only make out some of the restoration I think.

IMG_5982.thumb.jpeg.d2c34cfcdc0a3920aa597e8e75c79a75.jpeg

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

7 minutes ago, Jaybot said:

Beautiful tooth jack!  I like the color. 

IMG_5981.thumb.jpeg.45af59af999902c7f3df8fccca55c9f9.jpeg

Exactly,   missing approximately 1/4 of the tooth,  the fossil restorer told me that the most difficult/impossible part of a Meg to Restore are the serrations... On the left side , look at how small and diverse they are..  The recreation of the root came out much better.... So , when I evaluate a Meg, I look to the serrations first. 

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"