It's time to walk the fields again

Ludwigia

The weather has been such this year that some of the crops are coming in earlier than usual, so I figured there might just be the one or the other field already plowed up. I know quite a few which could give up a few fossils (I'm concentrating on ammonites mostly now and leave the brachis and bivalves lying), so I took off just after lunch and spent the afternoon and early evening driving to the one, walking over it and then driving on to the next one, walking over it, and so on. Some of them still had something growing on them, but others were, as I had been assuming, ripe for the picking. Although a few didn't yield anything worth taking, there were a couple which did, and particularly a heap of stones at the edge of a field had a couple of big 'uns. I didn't think to take along my camera while striding up and down, but I did remember at the end of the hunt to at least take a few photos of the finds before I headed off to the nearest restaurant for a wiener schnitzel. I'm hoping to get them prepped next week at my friend's workshop along with my finds from Pas de calais and a few other things. He's had to postpone the visit a couple of times because of stress at work, so I'm crossing my fingers that it works out this time. The finds are mostly from the middle Jurassic, although the large one from the pile of stones may be from the Late Jurassic. I'll know better once they're prepped and I can id them better.

1.thumb.jpg.2864eb31238eecd07e5126d5a4fd641b.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.d14080e5b855963db59940d6362d1087.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.b4a695518dea1dee23a67b858fe5209a.jpg

• Enjoyed 10

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Pretty Jurassic ammos. The white one in the first pic has some awesome detail!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I'm envious that you can find such nice ammonites.  In North America the marine Jurassic is only exposed in the West and the arctic, and productive sites are remote and difficult to access. 

Don

• I Agree 1

6 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm envious that you can find such nice ammonites.  In North America the marine Jurassic is only exposed in the West and the arctic, and productive sites are remote and difficult to access. 

Don

Yes, we certainly are blessed with Jurassic ammonites here in Germany. On the other hand, Cretaceous ones, with the exception of Westphalia, are not nearly so numerous here as they are in Texas and Puerco. And don't forget the Pierre Shale and Fox Hill Formations. That's where I'm envious.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Excellent discoveries Ludwigia! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us! 

• Thank You 1