What Kind Of Stream/Brook Is Best For Pleistocene Fossils?

CrankyPongine

Hey all. Just was curious about something. I’ve heard of mastodon teeth and other things being found on occasion in streams and brooks (such as the mastodon tooth found in Michigan by that one boy) and was curious what type of brook/stream it has to be to have things like that in them? I’m mainly referring to northeastern streams and brooks, and what the conditions have to be to preserve things like teeth of mastodons and/or mammoths, etc. Just a rocky stream/brook? And does it have to be in a glacial deposit? 

Thanks!

Sometimes, life is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you are going to find.  Maybe 6 years ago ,  I was hunting a stream in Florida.. 

Generally , it was 3-6 feet deep, with stretches of deep sand, interrupted by pockets of gravel mixed with fossils.  The gravel would collect on curves and especially on 90 degree turns.  I had found such a spot with a Live Oak tree overhanging the location.  It had a lot of rock and many fossils. I was finding horse teeth, some dolphin bones (especially ribs) and at least one dolphin tooth along with small shark teeth. I would go to this stream frequently over a period of 2-3 months and this location was one of 5 I was hunting in this stream.  One day late in the afternoon, I found a couple of bones that were very large,  much larger, more massive than a dolphin rib.  I had some other responsibilities that kept me busy.  I had agreed to meet @minnbuckeye for the 1st time in a mall that had a motorcycle shop about 10 am.  We exchanged fossils and took a photo together.. Because it was close to the Peace River,  I threw a shovel and sieve into my pickup intending to go hunting after ....

When I got to the "Live Oak" spot,  I started digging... lots of gravel and almost immediately,  felt_heard the distinctive clink of metal shovel on rock or.... Took this photo on the hood of my metallic gray Toyoto Tacoma.

g2018Mar9thMastodon.jpg.38947fac2877258facd08e1facbc47c4.jpg

When you are in a fossil rich hunting area, such finds are providence... out of the blue. 

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

What a find Jack!

• Thank You 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Quite a cool find! Though still curious to know what conditions are needed in a brook/stream for it to have Pleistocene fossils and such? Especially up farther north like New England etc

7 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

1st time in a mall that had a motorcycle shop

Remember it well. Start of a good friendship!

6 hours ago, CrankyPongine said:

I’m assuming it needs glacial deposits?

I would think so. These kind of finds are quite rare, and require a ton of luck to make any real finds of pleistocene fossils.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 hours ago, CrankyPongine said:

Quite a cool find! Though still curious to know what conditions are needed in a brook/stream for it to have Pleistocene fossils and such? Especially up farther north like New England etc

I was using knowledge of streams in Florida,  but I grew up in Connecticut and spent a lot of time in Vermont, also upstate New York. I liked to fish and spent lots of time in streams seeking Perch, Pickerel, and most of all brook trout. While I was not "tuned" to fossil hunting, I never saw any fossils of any type. 

There is a fantastic richness of fossil remains that predate the Pleistocene.  The Pleistocene was the time that huge glaciers rolled down thru Vermont and Connecticut crushing rock and creating mountains and valleys. There was the remains of a glacier on Long Island , New York 13000 years ago. 

I am very interested in your question because mostly I do not know.  Hopefully other members will provide some insight.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"