Mastodon tusk

edteach

I picked this up at an estate sale today. Its appx 2x1 inches Mastodon ivory. If its real it looks like it was sold as a collectible piece of tusk. I see no marks that say who produced it for sale. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks I only paid $1 for it so if its fake I am not out much. DSC00983.thumb.JPG.b743813a3922b72b854ec49148949b9a.JPGDSC00984.thumb.JPG.68d7ec9e004e34321c6919636513d08a.JPG

Edited by edteach

It’s a little blurry but I think I can see schreger lines. Thats a good sign if they are

• I Agree 3

Okay, you see the cris cross pattern on the first picture of the sides? It looks like it's making a bunch of "X"s? That's called Schreger Lines and they're a telltale sign of Proboscidean ivory which includes Mastodon.

Now is it Mastodon and not Mammoth, no idea. But it is a tusk fragment from and elephant relative!

Definitely ivory. The angle formed by the intersection of the lines is how the two are distinguished. It's not an easy thing to determine, but the information is available online. 

Thanks. I know Mastodon tusk and Mammoth tusk are available at my local Knife store. Russel's. They sell it and other kinds for knife handles. 

11 minutes ago, edteach said:

Thanks. I know Mastodon tusk and Mammoth tusk are available at my local Knife store. Russel's. They sell it and other kinds for knife handles. 

There ya go. Bring a lens and pretend you know what you're looking for. :)