Grays Harbor, WA: Shell or just a rock?

Huntinalldandylike

• New Members

Howdy! Been scoping this forum without an account for a long time and decided to make one because I'm scratching my head over this beach rock. I found it in Grays Harbor County on a beach behind the place I'm staying. It's got me stumped and I'm really just curious to know if anyone more experienced than I am can tell me if it's just rock inside of more rock or if there's a shell. I think the entire rock is about 25mm in length but I don't have a ruler on me (or printer unfortunately) since I'm just on a trip. The "shell" sticks out of the "matrix" slightly and looks like it could have horizontal bands? If it is anything it's very weathered. What gets me is that it looks like those bands have flaked in layers similar to bivalves I've prepped before. It's real small, so it's hard for me to tell.

I'm honestly just really skeptical and want to know what it is haha. If it's a rock then cool. If not, cool. I'd just like to know whether I should put it on my collection shelf or not. Additionally if it is just a rock, please tell me how you know! I love to learn as much new info as I can to log it in my brain.

20240823_172650.jpg

20240823_190619.jpg

20240823_190641.jpg

• New Members
48 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

This looks like an igneous rock to me.

Thank you!!! :) Solves that headache.