Barely a week after our last paper got published, our newest has now made it to press! This time we describe the dental remains of mosasaurs recovered from Holden Beach, Brunswick County, North Carolina, USA, where sediments were from dredged from the Maastrichtian Upper Cretaceous Peedee Formation to renourish the beach following storm damage.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/383230348_Mosasaurs_Squamata_Mosasauridae_from_the_Late_Cretaceous_Late_Maastrichtian_of_North_Carolina_USA

Authors: @Praefectus @BrennanThePaleoDude @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

Russian translations: @RuMert

Abstract: During April 2022, offshore dredging for a storm damage beach renourishment project placed large quantities of Upper Cretaceous (upper Maastrichtian) Peedee Formation sediment onto the shores of Holden Beach in Brunswick County, North Carolina, USA. The Cretaceous sediment is highly fossiliferous and has yielded a rich and diversified assemblage of fossils from mosasaurid reptiles. New fossil material, namely isolated teeth, consists of several dental morphologies from the mosasaur subfamilies Halisaurinae and Mosasaurinae. Five species are recognized: Halisaurus sp., Mosasaurus cf. beaugei Arambourg, 1952, Mosasaurus cf. hoffmannii Mantell, 1829, Prognathodon cf. solvayi Dollo, 1889 and Prognathodontini indet. In this assemblage, prognathodontins predominate, being the most abundant marine reptile find, with all other species being comparatively rare. The mosasaur assemblage of North Carolina shows close affinity with the phosphates of Morocco, containing species typical of both the northern and southern margins of the Mediterranean Tethys. These new discoveries improve our knowledge of the biodiversity of mosasaur fauna from the late Maastrichtian of North Carolina and add to the known paleobiogeographical distribution of these taxa. The material described within was collected courtesy of the efforts of amateur fossil hunters and seasonal tourists combing Holden Beach for fossilized remains.

I'm stoked to have two of our papers come out so shortly after each other, and just in time for the 7th Mosasaur Meeting in September! It's been a pleasure working on this project, as always! Thanks guys!

HoldenBeachmosasaurteeth.jpg.f9ee57fac957f31dd662717fc613cb97.jpg

A sample of the mosasaur teeth recovered from Holden Beach

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 9
  • Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Bravo !

Coco

• Thank You 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Exciting stuff! I'll have to read that sometime soon!

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 2

Bravo, indeed!

• Thank You 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Just finished reading. Great article! I like that you guys are aggregating a lot of tooth morphology info into one place with articles like these. It makes it a lot easier for the average hunter who only finds isolated teeth to learn about the specific differences to look for when trying to identify.

• Thank You 3

Excellent! So nice to have more, and accurate info on these fossils!

• Thank You 3

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

It was great working with you all again. Sorry I've been slow to reply to messages/tags. Medical school is keeping me away from TFF. Hope to do more paleo work soon. :Smiling:

• Enjoyed 2