Here's the first one; and I already am stumped with the id.  Oh, by the way, does anyone know of a good source to aid in ID'ing paleozoic teeth?  I already use Elasmo's website, and Oceans of Kansas.

Is this possibly a Cladodus tooth?

Cherryvale Fm, MO

#VM54

IMG_7867.thumb.jpg.9cdbaa1069bc5e641613a9c08a38d79d.jpgCladodont_toothmicroVM54.thumb.png.5903f182f075f8ad76d2d27671b9ce15.png

• Enjoyed 2

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Here’s what I’m pretty sure is a Symmorium sp.  About 2.3 mm wide.

IMG_7926.thumb.jpeg.b0b5c59215200d0008e9b3de7b9ae9e0.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

-Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty excited when I found this one through my loupe, since I had only recently learned about ‘acrodin caps’.

This means it’s a fish tooth, but which one?  @jdpcan you please help with this?  Thanks ;) 

NOTE: the tooth’s base is circular.

Also from the same Cherryvale fm. From NW Missouri material.  

#VM59

IMG_8192.thumb.jpeg.9ac3506058f110efca82655c52257ea5.jpeg

Edited by Jaybot
  • Enjoyed 1

-Jay

At first I thought this was a Triodus sp. , but then I sort of stumbled upon the correct ID:  Bransonella nebraskensis !!!

Up to this point, I had never heard of this cartilaginous fish.  From what I gathered, this micro size is typical for this taxon; which could be why they are underreported.  They are only known from their teeth.

Two of the cusps are missing on this specimen.

Cherryvale fm, NW Missouri 

#VM61

IMG_8324.thumb.jpeg.b4bedab9fe9f916d66a6bcbc26036b4d.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

-Jay

This is a cool project!  

It’s fascinating to me how nature scales itself. The details in the micro size object have to be able to scale into the macro. So the composition and density of detail in micro is so much clearer and precise. 

Jp

Great thread,  really interesting.  I sadly don't have a microscope but I have a clip marco lens for my phone.  I love looking at hash plates with it, it's very otherworldly. 

Cheers Bobby 

On 10/12/2024 at 10:05 PM, Jaybot said:

I was pretty excited when I found this one through my loupe, since I had only recently learned about ‘acrodin caps’.

This means it’s a fish tooth, but which one?  @jdpcan you please help with this?  Thanks ;) 

NOTE: the tooth’s base is circular.

Also from the same Cherryvale fm. From NW Missouri material.  

#VM59

IMG_8192.thumb.jpeg.9ac3506058f110efca82655c52257ea5.jpeg

Ray-finned fish (actiopterygian/"paleoniscoid").  Can't give you much more than that.

16 hours ago, Jaybot said:

At first I thought this was a Triodus sp. , but then I sort of stumbled upon the correct ID:  Bransonella nebraskensis !!!

Up to this point, I had never heard of this cartilaginous fish.  From what I gathered, this micro size is typical for this taxon; which could be why they are underreported.  They are only known from their teeth.

Two of the cusps are missing on this specimen.

#VM61

IMG_8324.thumb.jpeg.b4bedab9fe9f916d66a6bcbc26036b4d.jpeg

Yes, Bransonella seems right.

15 hours ago, Bullsnake said:

Hi, Jay.

May I ask what resources you use for id's?

Hey Steve!  I use Elasmo's site ( http://naka.na.coocan.jp/index.htm ) to get me in the right direction; occasionally I find my ID right there. 

I also use any researchgate images from papers that google brings up when I search various taxon, sometimes they help me find my ID (as with the above Bransonella). 

Among all the old threads and albums here on TFF, @hybodus@Hybodus01(same user's) album here has been very helpful as well:

Ocean of Kansas ''Permian Sharks of Kansas'' page  ( http://oceansofkansas.com/Paleozoic.html ) can also be helpful, but do bear in mind that some ID's are tentative or possibly incorrect/outdated.

I'm still very new at ID'ing these teeth, so if anyone else here has other resources, I'd really appreciate it if they could be shared ;) Thanks

12 hours ago, Balance said:

This is a cool project!  

It’s fascinating to me how nature scales itself. The details in the micro size object have to be able to scale into the macro. So the composition and density of detail in micro is so much clearer and precise. 

Jp

Thank you JP!  It really is fascinating.  Amazing how much detail can be preserved in something so small!

10 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Great thread,  really interesting.  I sadly don't have a microscope but I have a clip marco lens for my phone.  I love looking at hash plates with it, it's very otherworldly. 

Cheers Bobby 

Thank you Bobby!  Sometimes I also use a clip on lens for my phone as well to get a different angle when studying a specimen.  Hash plates are a favorite of mine as well :)

5 hours ago, jdp said:

Ray-finned fish (actiopterygian/"paleoniscoid").  Can't give you much more than that.

5 hours ago, jdp said:

Yes, Bransonella seems right.

Thank you so much JDP, your input is very much appreciated!

• I found this Informative 1

-Jay

A fragment of a (Agassizodus?) tooth.

2.5 mm wide

IMG_8727.thumb.jpeg.381cffe1c231a94b55299912fcb09ca3.jpeg

The other side:

IMG_8728.thumb.jpeg.88a84df30ee25c61c2c989306d0568ad.jpeg

-Jay