Bison Latifrons

fossilus

I just wanted to post some further photos and measurements of the Latifrons horn and skull I found last week.  From what I've seen new measurements are significant for this rare animal.

bisonlatifronshorncore.thumb.JPG.5b5b60a9b409ed2ec2efcd4d6f111f9a.JPG

bison latifrons horn core insitu.jpg

bison latifrons horn core 2.jpg

bison latifrons skull condyle side.JPG

bison latifrons maxilla molars 1.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

The skull is still drying and so putting it back together right now is impossible, but the backside of the skull mostly in one piece.  The preservation is in sandy/conglomerate cemented by ironstone, so any advice would be appreciated.   

measurements

total width is 290mm

width across condyles is 140mm

foramen magnum is 38mm

There are all 3 molars which I didn't realize until I went through all the sediment I brought back.  

measurements are

M1 (leftmost tooth) lingual to labial 29mm, length 28mm

M2 (center) 30mm, 35mm

M3 (right) 25mm, 36mm

Any ideas on restoration would be helpful, although my inclination is treat with B72 and try to build a display that bears the weight of the separate pieces.

@Uncle Siphuncle?

bison latifrons skull measurements.JPG

bison latifrons maxilla molars measure.JPG

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 6

Nice find! I am looking forward to seeing it restored.:popcorn:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That is such a a cool find.  Congratulations!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I’m invested, this is cool

• Thank You 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

What a dream find!  One of the coolest megafauna species if you ask me.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Cool find.  Mine was luckily infilled and stabilized by sandstone, which helped me heave it out in one, hundred pound piece.  I rinsed it at home, dried it, and stabilized cracks with PaleoBond....lots of it.  I then saturated the surface with thin Butvar.  I got a lot of the skull but not all of it, and one side of the mandible.  I CAD designed and built a custom stand from high grade 3/4" ply where it still sits, suspending isolated pieces in living position. I made no attempt to reconstruct anything missing.  Horn core tips are worn down to 5 feet, would have been est 6 ft unworn.

• Enjoyed 3

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

1 hour ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Cool find.  Mine was luckily infilled and stabilized by sandstone, which helped me heave it out in one, hundred pound piece.  I rinsed it at home, dried it, and stabilized cracks with PaleoBond....lots of it.  I then saturated the surface with thin Butvar.  I got a lot of the skull but not all of it, and one side of the mandible.  I CAD designed and built a custom stand from high grade 3/4" ply where it still sits, suspending isolated pieces in living position. I made no attempt to reconstruct anything missing.  Horn core tips are worn down to 5 feet, would have been est 6 ft unworn.

Thanks! I wouldn't have been able to handle 100 lb piece. Mine was probably less than 40 lbs.

I probably won't be even doing a "deep clean" as mine is in a hard, cemented gravel, that is much harder than the bone. I've already gone through quite a bit of b72 and acetone.  

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I've seen the pic of yours... beyond incredible find.  Cool to see you Texans finding latifrons stuff.  I've seen at a museum one found in Kansas, so not impossible I guess- hopefully I'll join the latifrons club one of these days ;)

Edited by Jaybot
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

5 hours ago, fossilus said:

Thanks! I wouldn't have been able to handle 100 lb piece. Mine was probably less than 40 lbs.

I probably won't be even doing a "deep clean" as mine is in a hard, cemented gravel, that is much harder than the bone. I've already gone through quite a bit of b72 and acetone.  

I've scribed a lot of soft bones in hard sandstone.  The trick is to go slowly, stopping to wick CA into the bone, even if that only means 1/8" of progress at a time.  You can work on other areas of the same piece while the CA cures.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Can I just say how happy I am to see its not just me who uses a chainsaw tool for fossils!

• Enjoyed 1