2 inch Carcharodontosaurus Tooth Repaired?

• New Members

I am planning to purchase a tooth fossil, but the seller has provided limited information.

If the color of this tooth has been artificially dyed? and any signs of cracks or repair?

ba1a290ab3d55ec15296f4f3b26e8af.jpg

7c36fcd46e6db18d23dfd35e802e066.jpg

• New Members

I'm a new to fossils and luckily I found this forum before I proceed with the payment. 

This Carcharodontosaur tooth is about 2in.  Please introduce me to the details of this fossil?

Thanks so much!

21 minutes ago, helixdan said:

I'm a new to fossils and luckily I found this forum before i proceed with the paymant.  this Carcharodontosaur tooth about 2in.  please introduce me to the details of this fossil? thanks so much!

Hello and welcome.

Everything I see here looks good. Its real and unrestored or repaired. It has a few serration missing and some cracks , what is normal. Overal the serrations are still very good. The color is also nice, blood-red are the most sought ones. So a nice tooth for any collection. 

Most common Carcharodontosaurus teeth are found in the KemKem beds in Marokko. However there are also ones coming for Argentinië etc, these are very,very rare and now illegal to export, only old collections can be sold. So did the seller state anything about the provenance? 

• New Members
23 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Hello and welcome.

Everything I see here looks good. Its real and unrestored or repaired. It has a few serration missing and some cracks , what is normal. Overal the serrations are still very good. The color is also nice, blood-red are the most sought ones. So a nice tooth for any collection. 

Most common Carcharodontosaurus teeth are found in the KemKem beds in Marokko. However there are also ones coming for Argentinië etc, these are very,very rare and now illegal to export, only old collections can be sold. So did the seller state anything about the provenance? 

thanks, the location is KemKem, 1.6 inches long, and apart from that, no other information was provided.

"illegal to export" refers to Carcharodontosaurus fossils from places like Argentina and other similar areas, not all Carcharodontosaurus fossils are prohibited from being exported to the United States.

Personally, I'd want to see all 4 sides of a tooth before buying but thats just me.

*Frank*

1 hour ago, helixdan said:

thanks, the location is KemKem, 1.6 inches long, and apart from that, no other information was provided.

Thats fine, and what I thought it would be. 

1 hour ago, helixdan said:

"illegal to export" refers to Carcharodontosaurus fossils from places like Argentina and other similar areas, not all Carcharodontosaurus fossils are prohibited from being exported to the United States.

Yes that was , what I was trying to explain yes.

• New Members
1 hour ago, FB003 said:

Personally, I'd want to see all 4 sides of a tooth before buying but thats just me.

Thanks, your suggestions are helpful; I asked for pictures from other angles

0050b10ef0742471ce6c0bdef52b4c9.jpg

b7bcd2ec24a2187da20273f2d58647a.jpg

6c467969b2cb1c8da6135bdce3c8065.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

• New Members
30 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Thats fine, and what I thought it would be. 

Yes that was , what I was trying to explain yes.

hi, I have uploaded some pictures from other angles. Are these also unrepaired?

25 minutes ago, helixdan said:

hi, I have uploaded some pictures from other angles. Are these also unrepaired?

You have only uploaded one front view of the tooth (Two times the same one), and 1 side view

• New Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phos_01 said:

You have only uploaded one front view of the tooth (Two times the same one), and 1 side view

side A and side B :TongueOut:

3CB2F992-47F7-4F27-B1E8-87CA83429B68.thumb.jpeg.2ad2a204530f99b184c819992ebd0a00.jpeg

172AE41D-A796-4E23-8E57-DB17A8BBF6CC.jpeg

Edited by helixdan

3 hours ago, helixdan said:

side A and side B :TongueOut:

3CB2F992-47F7-4F27-B1E8-87CA83429B68.thumb.jpeg.2ad2a204530f99b184c819992ebd0a00.jpeg

172AE41D-A796-4E23-8E57-DB17A8BBF6CC.jpeg

Yes like I have said before, it's a solid and real tooth. I spot no repairs here. Teeth from this size and this quality are not that rare, but still desirable and nice to have.