Potential coprolite?

JCHD

• New Members

Hello all, 

Brand new to this forum. Currently in Orkney and travelled to have a short visit at Yesbaby. Lots of cliffs formed from Upper Stromness flagstone and Harra ebb sandstone. 

I came across a rather peculiar looking rock. Pretty sure it does have a fossilised set of items within what looks like sandstone. Items within the sandstone are formed in almost tear drop shapes with one being angular in the centre. 

Could this be some fossilised coprolite or purely a rock formation? I did within this same area stumble across stromatolites as this area of Yesnaby is obviously extremely old. 

Whole rock is roughly 8cm in length.  Each item within the main rock are roughly between 2.5cm long down to roughly 1.5cm

IMG_7163.thumb.jpeg.c8d4e65dba0478d0b2c2c4843ecc75d0.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum.

This looks more geologic to me.  :unsure:

The formations you mention are Devonian in age, and fish were the only coprolite makers at that time.

The description of Hara Ebb Formation mentions this for Lithology -

Lithology Description

Interbedded sandstones and siltstones with tongues and lenses of breccia and conglomerate.

I think you have a bit of sandstone with breccia lenses.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• New Members
24 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum.

This looks more geologic to me.  :unsure:

The formations you mention are Devonian in age, and fish were the only coprolite makers at that time.

The description of Hara Ebb Formation mentions this for Lithology -

Lithology Description

Interbedded sandstones and siltstones with tongues and lenses of breccia and conglomerate.

I think you have a bit of sandstone with breccia lenses.

Thanks Tim. 

Do you think that is the case with the shapes, large one end and smaller ok the other? 

googled what you mentioned but couldn’t really find anything the same. 

Hi,

Could you please specify where is Orkney ? State, county, nearest city, because here we are on an international forum. Thank you.

For example, could you put us Paris - France on a map ? Yet it is our capital ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• New Members

Yes, the Orkney Islands in Northern Scotland, part of the Scottish Isles.