Battling the Horse Flies on the Potomac!

Atoothsatooth42

The horse flies were UNREAL today at the usual Potomac spot this morning. No matter how many times I re-applied bug spray, I would get swarmed by them minutes later. But that didn’t stop me from getting a good 3 hours out of the beach.

I had it nearly all to myself, it had been far too long. I was worried for a while because of some dark clouds, rough swells and thunder for the first hour, but things held tough, and I came away with a great haul! 

It started out slow, couple sand tigers here and there as one would expect from the Aquia, tons of tinnies, tons of ray plates, but it really picked up towards the end. With the guidance of another butterfly, I was able to find a nice complete Otodus, as well as the HEARTBREAKER of 1/3rd of a chunky Otodus in the last minutes of my hunt. I also found some turtle shell frags, a tiny vert, and 2 shreds of croc teeth. 

Seeing that broke-todus rolling in the waves was such a rush of good and bad emotions, what an awesome find, but what could have been! It likely would be my largest Otodus in my collection. Great GREAT day regardless. I’ll happily take the smaller one as a compromise. One day I will hit on the elusive 2 inch Ottie! 

IMG_1833.jpeg

IMG_1834.jpeg

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1838.jpeg

IMG_1839.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

IMG_1841.jpeg

IMG_1842.jpeg

IMG_1845.jpeg

IMG_1848.jpeg

IMG_1850.jpeg

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1852.jpeg

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1854.jpeg

IMG_1855.jpeg

IMG_1857.jpeg

IMG_1858.jpeg

Edited by Atoothsatooth42
  • Enjoyed 9

Thanks for sharing. I think the only way to rid yourself of horseflies is to take along a horse to distract them :P

• Enjoyed 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The fossil gods have rewarded your bravery for enduring the onslaught of biting flies with some nice finds. ;)

Friends took my wife and I out fossil hunting on the Potomac a number of years ago. One was even so kind as to bring along the sifting screens to collect some micro-matrix from the gravel along the shore. I picked through the matrix to find a number of interesting micro-chondrichthyan teeth. Next time you go back try bringing a sifting screen with 1/4" mesh to hold back the larger gravel (and shark teeth) visible to the naked eye. Below that stack another sifting screen into which you can place a loose piece of replacement window screen (mesh size on that is approximately 1/16").  The window screen lets the sand and fine silt pass through but keeps the micro-matrix between the 1/4" - 1/16" size. You can dry this out on a tarp in the sun and then pick through it a little at a time under magnification. You'll find a number of discussions about micro-matrix picking here on the forum.

https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/51286-collecting-cookiecutter-shark-micro-matrix/

https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/95821-optimizing-my-search-technique-for-picking-fine-micro-matrix/

The best part is you can do that inside in a climate controlled environment sitting on a comfy chair and (as long as you don't leave your doors open) with NO horse flies. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, Atoothsatooth42 said:

The horse flies were UNREAL today

19 hours ago, Atoothsatooth42 said:

I had it nearly all to myself

Hmm I wonder why you were the only one there......    ;)

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

On 8/30/2024 at 4:03 AM, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for sharing. I think the only way to rid yourself of horseflies is to take along a horse to distract them :P

I should have known such a simple trick would have worked 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’ll remember for next time!

• Enjoyed 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:13 AM, digit said:

The fossil gods have rewarded your bravery for enduring the onslaught of biting flies with some nice finds. ;)

Friends took my wife and I out fossil hunting on the Potomac a number of years ago. One was even so kind as to bring along the sifting screens to collect some micro-matrix from the gravel along the shore. I picked through the matrix to find a number of interesting micro-chondrichthyan teeth. Next time you go back try bringing a sifting screen with 1/4" mesh to hold back the larger gravel (and shark teeth) visible to the naked eye. Below that stack another sifting screen into which you can place a loose piece of replacement window screen (mesh size on that is approximately 1/16").  The window screen lets the sand and fine silt pass through but keeps the micro-matrix between the 1/4" - 1/16" size. You can dry this out on a tarp in the sun and then pick through it a little at a time under magnification. You'll find a number of discussions about micro-matrix picking here on the forum.

https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/51286-collecting-cookiecutter-shark-micro-matrix/

https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/95821-optimizing-my-search-technique-for-picking-fine-micro-matrix/

The best part is you can do that inside in a climate controlled environment sitting on a comfy chair and (as long as you don't leave your doors open) with NO horse flies. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

I’ve seen quite a few posts about micro fossil hunting from the deposits on the Potomac. I definitely need to give it a try!

21 hours ago, Jaybot said:

Hmm I wonder why you were the only one there......    ;)

Ah, you definitely could be on to something 🤔

• Enjoyed 1

On 8/29/2024 at 10:59 PM, Atoothsatooth42 said:

broke-todus

I like that term...I find lots of those!  But, nice finds!

• Enjoyed 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

On 8/29/2024 at 10:59 PM, Atoothsatooth42 said:

broke-todus

Cousin to the frag-lodon. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, Fin Lover said:

I like that term...I find lots of those!  But, nice finds!

28 minutes ago, digit said:

Cousin to the frag-lodon. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

Indeed. I certainly can’t take credit for it though. A great term none the less! I prefer when it doesn’t come to mind when I find one however!