Whales Valley, Egypt

Mina Faris

• New Members

Hi all,

Please help me identify what this is.

Short story: I found this piece along with shark teeth and meteorites in Whales Valley, Egypt, maybe 15 years ago.

From what I can see, it has the shape of a lower jaw of a mammal, and the teeth look like human teeth. Additionally, the shape suggests that the animal was hit by a meteorite, as it has a feel and shape similar to the other meteorites I found.

The size of it is 3.5 cm x 3 cm

IMG_9387.jpg

IMG_9388.jpg

IMG_9386.jpg

IMG_9385.jpg

The first two photos are not clear enough to be able to make out any details. The last ones are not teeth.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• New Members

The first two pictures show the dimensions. the third picture shows the back of the fossil. The fourth one show the teeth of the lower jaw, not one tooth!

I am sorry but I see only a rock no teeth no jaw no bone

• I Agree 2

These are not teeth : no enamel, no typical or recognizable shape of one or more teeth. Rock farcical !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• New Members

I hope this notation helps you visualize the teeth better.

IMG_9385.jpg

Mineral vein in a rock. Not teeth.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

We have seen what you underline, but they are not teeth !

We have dozens of requests for identification per day, and every day we try to explain nicely why most of the time the requests do not concern teeth, snake skulls, dinosaur eggs or other "mind views" brought by the pareidiolia (normal activity of our brain that makes us recognize for example faces in clouds).

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 hours ago, Mina Faris said:

Additionally, the shape suggests that the animal was hit by a meteorite, as it has a feel and shape similar to the other meteorites I found.

As mentioned above, the "teeth" in your "jaw" are merely an eroded vein of a more durable (more silicified) mineral.

The collective experience of the membership on this forum has allowed us to differentiate between the many fossils and the numerous rocks that people believe are fossils. New members who are just learning about fossils often mistake features in rocks for something familiar. Pareidolia, as mentioned above, factors into this. Jaws containing teeth have a recognizable structure and would not be distorted into the shape you believe you are seeing from being hit with a meteorite. Animals (and plants and just about everything else) that gets hit by a meteorite of significant size are pretty much instantly vaporized.

We've had new members try to rewrite science, physics and logic by explaining their own theory on how their "fossil" formed involving being flash frozen and instantly fossilized by volcanoes erupting under glaciers and even more improbable methods. We are a science based forum here and enjoy discussing (and helping to identify) a variety of fossil types. Being science based we stick to reality so I'm hoping the tag 'alien' was meant to be humorous and not intended to suggest this was a jaw of an alien hit by a meteorite.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case. Teeth are not fused to the bone fundament (exception might be very early placoderm fishies where the teeth were simply bone outgrowths). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members

What kind of rock is it then? Does it have any value to it?

We don't discuss values or prices on the forum.

• Thank You 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

• New Members

I meant is it rare to find it or is it a normal rock? Who mentioned the money here?

40 minutes ago, Mina Faris said:

Does it have any value to it?

7 minutes ago, Mina Faris said:

Who mentioned the money here?

I took your question about value to mean monetary value.  If you were asking about scientific significance, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Edited by Fin Lover

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

• New Members

It’s all good. Yes, I’m asking about the significance in scientific terms.

9 minutes ago, Mina Faris said:

I meant is it rare to find it or is it a normal rock? Who mentioned the money here?

Monetary value is an often asked question by new members to this forum. Without the adjective 'scientific' preceding the word 'value' that is what I (and likely others) assumed you meant. We prefer to discuss fossils and the science of paleontology and leave valuation to other forms of social media and so we cut off talk of pricing pretty quickly.

Your piece is a weathered piece of rock with what appears to be a mineral vein of whitish material running through it. There is no particular scientific value to this specimen though mineralogists and collectors of mineral specimens could have interest merely to attempt to identify the minerals involved. Beyond that it is simply a rock with an interesting texture--one that many of us would have picked up if we found it in the field but likely a 'leaverite'.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

No problem. We enjoy discussing fossils here. Come back when you've found some other interesting rocks. Most fossils show more distinctive biological structures in them. Keep looking down and you might come across some actual fossils which we'd be happy to help ID.

Cheers.

-Ken