kkonrad94

• New Members

Is that molar from bos or bison? Found in Poland in Vistula river sediments. 

20240828_233727.jpg

20240828_233727.jpg

20240828_233738.jpg

20240828_233805.jpg

Screenshot_20240830-120703_Gallery.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Bos m3.  Bison m3's are typically 40 mm+ APL, while cows are typically in the 30-40 mm APL range.

• I Agree 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

You guys are probably aware there is an alternative to Bison or Bos.   That would be - a hybrid.  This paper in Nature , very well received, has now turned into a shouting match about your data ain't as good as mine.  https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13158  I found the original article convincing, for numerous reasons.  If the Wisent is, as claimed, the result of Steppe Bison X Aurochs - then there ought to be a few teeth kicking around that could show characteristics of both?  Regarding bovid dentition- I claim a pristine mind.  :-)    I do think though, that finding teeth that either are, or might be with good argument - of mixed heritage - would be of serious interest.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Philip Rutter 2 said:

You guys are probably aware there is an alternative to Bison or Bos.   That would be - a hybrid.  

What you are saying is true, however it is extremely difficult to differentiate between bison species from an isolated tooth; so I think it would be nearly impossible to ID an isolated tooth to a hybrid.  Also, (at least here in the states) cow breeds need to be taken into account- for example, Texas Longhorn m3’s will be larger than a Holstein’s m3.

As for the OP’s tooth, it matches pretty well with typical Bos teeth that I’ve seen.  I do not claim to be an expert though- far from it.

1 hour ago, Philip Rutter 2 said:

This paper in Nature , very well received, has now turned into a shouting match about your data ain't as good as mine.  https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13158  I found the original article convincing, for numerous reasons.  If the Wisent is, as claimed, the result of Steppe Bison X Aurochs - then there ought to be a few teeth kicking around that could show characteristics of both?  Regarding bovid dentition- I claim a pristine mind.  :-)    I do think though, that finding teeth that either are, or might be with good argument - of mixed heritage - would be of serious interest.

Also,  thank you for your informative post and for linking that paper.  :) I had never heard of this debate or publication. I’ll have to read it, as it sounds interesting.  

Have a great rest of your week,

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

15 minutes ago, Jaybot said:

Also, (at least here in the states) cow breeds need to be taken into account- for example, Texas Longhorn m3’s will be larger than a Holstein’s m3.

Ah, me- and that hadn't even hit me yet- I know a bunch of European cattle breeds - like; um, the Hungarian Gray - a match for Longhorns any day.  Gorgeous creatures - and their photos all seem to be proprietary - but a  quick search will introduce you.  They have cousins all over, generally lumped as "Steppe Cattle" - and boy would their teeth be confusing.

• I found this Informative 1