What should the label be for this Dinosaur tooth?

Muffinman217

Hi all,

Recently picked up this fossil tooth. It is 1.61 Inches and the seller describes it as the Abelisaur species Kryptops.

They claimed it is from the Elrhaz formation of Niger. However some people have advised me saying they could be lying to increase its value. However given its large size I'm not sure where else it could be from, since I believe it is too large to be from the Kem-Kem Formation.

From the advice i have already received, I am of the belief that it is from an Abelisaur species. However I am not sure about whether to label it Abelisauridae indet, or Kryptops as it is the only described Abelisaur in the formation. 

The colour is interesting as many fossils from the Elrhaz are typically black/grey. However there are many reputable sellers listing Kryptop's and other Elrhaz species such as Sarcosuchus and Suchomimus which have the dark brown colour that this fossil has.

Thank you so much for any advice, this fossil tooth has left me very confused!

Kryp1.webp

Kryp2.webp

Kryp3.webp

Kryp4.webp

Kryp5.webp

Kryp6.webp

Kryp7.webp

Kryp8.webp

Kryp9.webp

• Enjoyed 1

38 minutes ago, Muffinman217 said:

From the advice i have already received, I am of the belief that it is from an Abelisaur species. However I am not sure about whether to label it Abelisauridae indet, or Kryptops as it is the only described Abelisaur in the formation.

I would stay with a more vague name, because to describe Kryptos "because it is the only abelisaur identified there" does not seem to me to be a sufficient reason. It may be the only one, until another species is identified and published ! ;)

Coco

Edited by Coco
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I would agree with Coco, there is so little known about the "Abelisaurids" from Niger. Has big similarities to Kryptops palaios

• Thank You 1

Abelisaur indet. cf Kryptops palaios might be the way to go with this.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me