Trinity River treasures: upper woodbine/lower eagleford

Shaun-DFW Fossils

There are two main times I try to visit my fossil sites that are specifically represented by creek or riverside formation exposures: 1) obviously right after heavy rains that create new erosion, and 2) when the water levels drop so low that fossils are revealed that were previously covered by water or algae. With water levels currently low, on Friday I revisited a Trinity River location where I’ve found ammonites along the banks. This time, the water level was low enough that I could cross the entire river without getting any deeper than my pant pockets. I looked down and spotted a 7” conlinoceras tarrantense ammonite, one of the 3 biggest I’ve found. Unfortunately, fast-moving water had a predictable effect on the exterior, so it’s very worn, but the sutures and calcite look very nice. I also found the biggest gastropod I’ve ever found, and one out of only 3-4 I’ve found in the upper woodbine/lower eagleford area (this area of uncomformity goes back and forth between the two). I am not sure of the species yet. It’s 3”x3” and bigger than even the biggest Goodland formation gastropods I’ve found, which are usually pretty impressive. Before prep and after prep photos of the river ammonite are shown. I also took only photos of an ammonite fixed atop a very large rock slab, also conlinoceras species. Not bad for a short outing! Dallas County, Texas.

IMG_5452.jpeg

IMG_5453.jpeg

IMG_5441.jpeg

IMG_5442.jpeg

IMG_5443.jpeg

IMG_5436.jpeg

IMG_5435.jpeg

IMG_5430.jpeg

Edited by Shaun-DFW Fossils
  • Enjoyed 11