Rochester, MN fossil hunting with kids?

MEAEC

• New Members

Hello all,

I am hoping for some help figuring out how to find good spots to take my first grade twins fossil hunting. We live in Rochester, so we've been to Quarry Hill, but I think they're going to start getting bored of always going to the same place, and I know there are supposed to be more than a few good places to look in SE MN. I'm originally from Arizona, and public lands are run quite differently out there, so I'm nervous to venture out and look for other places... it's important for me to teach my kids to be respectful while engaging in this hobby!

If anyone has thoughts on good resources for a parent to help their kids on this journey, I would greatly appreciate the direction! In addition to places to take them, if anyone knows of good books I can read on tools/techniques, or any kinds of local clubs or meetings where we could learn from someone, that would be super helpful as well!

Photo of one of our Quarry Hill finds from this week!

20240902_151449.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, MEAEC said:

Hello all,

I am hoping for some help figuring out how to find good spots to take my first grade twins fossil hunting. We live in Rochester, so we've been to Quarry Hill, but I think they're going to start getting bored of always going to the same place, and I know there are supposed to be more than a few good places to look in SE MN. I'm originally from Arizona, and public lands are run quite differently out there, so I'm nervous to venture out and look for other places... it's important for me to teach my kids to be respectful while engaging in this hobby!

If anyone has thoughts on good resources for a parent to help their kids on this journey, I would greatly appreciate the direction! In addition to places to take them, if anyone knows of good books I can read on tools/techniques, or any kinds of local clubs or meetings where we could learn from someone, that would be super helpful as well!

Photo of one of our Quarry Hill finds from this week!

20240902_151449.jpg

I know Crosby regional park has some stuff, it’s next to the Mississippi River. There are a good amount of agates and some fossils out there, it’s not the best place but it’s the only one I know of.

10 hours ago, RocksAndFossilsHunter said:

Crosby regional park

I think this is the Lilydale site and my understanding, it is closed since the accident.

Welcome to the Forum from a close neighbor of yours. Rochester is nestled in an area with fossiliferous rocks of the Decorah and Galena Formations. I suggest a road trip within the Rochester City limits. Plan a trip that happens to take them by exposed rock (I will send a few sites to you) and let  the children tell you where to stop. I have never had an issue surface collecting in town except the Highway 52 road cut which I knew was likely frowned upon since it is a limited access highway. Anyways, here is a project I created to show children what can be found right in their own backyard if they just venture outdoors and explore nature. These fossils were all found within the Rochester City limits.

DSC_0144-001.thumb.JPG.65ac1f27d73cc89b42b56531e13e7fb4.JPG

• Enjoyed 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I think this is the Lilydale site and my understanding, it is closed since the accident.

Welcome to the Forum from a close neighbor of yours. Rochester is nestled in an area with fossiliferous rocks of the Decorah and Galena Formations. I suggest a road trip within the Rochester City limits. Plan a trip that happens to take them by exposed rock (I will send a few sites to you) and let  the children tell you where to stop. I have never had an issue surface collecting in town except the Highway 52 road cut which I knew was likely frowned upon since it is a limited access highway. Anyways, here is a project I created to show children what can be found right in their own backyard if they just venture outdoors and explore nature. These fossils were all found within the Rochester City limits.

It closed? I looked it up and it said it was still open. 

• New Members
8 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Thank you! I would love to know places in town to take them! 

In trying to find places to take the boys, I've read about Masonic park... do you know anything about this place? Whether it's also just surface collecting, or if they can try to dig and hammer things a bit?

Thanks again!  And that fossil display is amazing! 

11 hours ago, RocksAndFossilsHunter said:

Feb 28, 2020 — Fossil collecting and ice climbing may be done by permit only

The reason:
      On May 23, 2013, two fourth graders died and two others were injured in a landslide at Lilydale Regional Park in St. Paul, Minnesota

11 hours ago, RocksAndFossilsHunter said:

Closed to FOSSIL HUNTING.

https://www.stpaul.gov/facilities/lilydale-regional-park

Scroll down to Fossil Hunting.

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me