4 hours ago, Jaybot said:

Brachiopods / bivalves

4 hours ago, Jaybot said:

Paleozoic shark/ cartilaginous fish teeth also need a lot of work

I've had the pleasure of meeting talented workers in both fields. But the workforce is indeed diminishing. We've lost many workers to retirement in gastropods and cephalopods from the same era. In the five short years I've been doing paleo work, I've seen at least three disappear. Many of the big publications I like to reference have authors who are either no longer with us or no longer communicate online.

One thing to note about Tom Yancey is that he heavily encourages online publishing. He feels that having the information on the other side of a Google search is essential.

To note about brachiopods, I recently talked with a collections manager who told me that "all the Paleozoic brachiopods in Texas have been figured out" and then pulled a volume to show me. But I've got to see some modern work showing that many unique species likely exist and will hopefully be defined. Perhaps not as impactful as this volume on the North American Pinnidae, because they really needed sorted out, but to say any paleozoic mystery is solved is inaccurate.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

Congratulations, Bob! Well done, sir.   :tiphat:
Thanks for adding to our collective knowledge! :) 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congratulations, that is very exciting! I am also looking forward to delving into the article to see if it helps clarify which Pinnid shells we find here in Illinois Pennsylvanian deposits. 

• Thank You 1