Howdy all,

I acquired this nice rooted brachychampsa tooth this past summer and have always wondered what this hole in it is from.

Any guesses?

20240903_173601.jpg

20240903_173616.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

No idea what made that very round hole on the root of your tooth.  My guess would be some kind of insect predation, but only a guess.  You pic grabbed my attention because I just found a large, rooted brachy crusher tooth today.

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

2 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

No idea what made that very round hole on the root of your tooth.  My guess would be some kind of insect predation, but only a guess.  You pic grabbed my attention because I just found a large, rooted brachy crusher tooth today.

That's interesting! Definitely not what I would have guessed.

Love brachychampsa. Would love to see that pearly white if you wouldn't mind!

Does the hole go all the way thru? If so, then maybe hung on a necklace.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

Does the hole go all the way thru? If so, then maybe hung on a necklace.

It's only on one side of the root. Came from a 40+ year old collection though so I don't know.

Not sure if this is the same as the hole in your tooth but many croc and gator teeth have a hole or notch in the root where the replacement tooth is forming. Here are some examples with modern alligator tooth from this web site.

IMG_3501.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

10 hours ago, Fullux said:

That's interesting! Definitely not what I would have guessed.

Love brachychampsa. Would love to see that pearly white if you wouldn't mind!

I'll post a thread after I get home. It's in a field box in my truck atm.

• Thank You 1

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/