First, hats off to @BobWill and his Falcatopinna bobwilliamsi Yancey 2024. We've been excited and waiting for this paper for years.

In the Summer of 2021, Tom Yancey stopped by my house to study a collection of pinnids I had amassed over several seasons. I wanted to know what genus or species they were, and in February 2021, I wrote and published a long web article weighing the differences between Aviculopinna and Meekopinna. Yancey et al. were working on a different manuscript "Rebuilding the foundation of late Paleozoic pinnid bivalve study (family Pinnidae) (Yancey, Amler, Raczyński, & Brandt, 2023)" and his European counterparts found my article and pointed Tom my way.

I collected about 100 specimens, and Tom stopped at my house to study them while teaching me a lot about pinnid morphology. People previously kept telling me these were Pteronites. The Ohio Publication “Pennsylvanian Marine Bivalvia and Rostroconchia of Ohio” heavily uses Pteronites in the text for pinnids. This is likely due to the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology (1969) publishing the synonymy, with Pteronites as the senior name. Yancey’s 2023 assessment shows that Pteronites is a small genus limited to early Pennsylvanian specimens.

It's been over three years since he left, but the paper is finally released in a 129-year-old journal. Its final form notes an August 2024 publication date, so I can talk about it now. The PRI website has yet to offer it for sale: https://www.priweb.org/research-and-collections/bulletins-of-American-paleontology .

However, Google Books has a reference up: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Revision_of_Late_Paleozoic_Pinnid_Genera/bAfU0AEACAAJ?hl=en

Allopinna Yancey 2024 is the best of both worlds. It has the inflated shell shape of some species of Orthopinna and the shell ornamentation and posterior margin of Meekopinna.

Allopinna godleskya Yancey 2024 is the type species of Allopinna.

You can see some here. The holotypes and some paratypes are there, but they now live at the Carnegie Museum of Pittsburgh.
https://fossil.15656.com/catalog/search-for/Allopinna

I hoped for an acknowledgment at best but didn't think it would be named in my honor.

image.png.e53abd6943df89d031868a139f4b3ac8.png

Here are some specimens I've collected after Tom stopped to study and take my specimens for donation.

CG-0399—Allopinna godleskya Brush Creek limestone, Parks Township, PA, USA
Note the prominent hingeline along the top. The separated shell layers make getting one of these with the outside intact challenging. Lucky for me here, this was embedded in a wood-like matrix.

399.jpg

CG-0435—Allopinna godleskya Brush Creek limestone, Parks Township, PA, USA

Note the upturned lamellae in the middle, a feature shared by Allopinna and Meekopinna in the Paleozoic.

CG-0435-Pinnid-0001.jpg

And last, more thoughts about the species here: https://fossil.15656.com/research-pages/allopinna-godleskya-a-new-species-of-pinnid-from-the-brush-creek-limestone-of-parks-township-glenshaw-formation-conemaugh-group-western-pennsylvania/

Edited by cngodles
  • I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 7

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

Well done!  :)  :tiphat:

Every avocational paleontologist's dream to have a species named after you.  B)
Congratulations!

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congrats @cngodles !

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

It's great to see all your work collecting those pay off and what a treat to learn from the expert! Well deserved recognition for your contribution!

• Thank You 1