what size and type of “needle” to apply butvar/paraloid into small bone cracks?

Alberta_Cretaceous

looking to confirm which type of needle/application tool to insert the liquid into small dinosaur bone cracks!

also where can these be purchased? i only see that one site that is UK based

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I use the smallest artists' paintbrush for application of Paraloid to cracks. Wet the bristles and lightly touch it to the crack. The capillary action of the bone will draw the thin solution in. Repeat until it stops drawing in and the crack will be filled with Paraloid. You could also draw it into a syringe and add a CA microtip and inject it. I've done that but found the Paraloid to quickly gum up the syringe plunger. That's not cost efficient when you're prepping every day. 

• I found this Informative 1

I use something similar to what Oilshale recommended.

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I use the smallest artists' paintbrush for application of Paraloid to cracks. Wet the bristles and lightly touch it to the crack. The capillary action of the bone will draw the thin solution in. Repeat until it stops drawing in and the crack will be filled with Paraloid. You could also draw it into a syringe and add a CA microtip and inject it. I've done that but found the Paraloid to quickly gum up the syringe plunger. That's not cost efficient when you're prepping every day. 

thank you.

The capillary action of the bone will draw the thin solution in”

that makes total sense, but as someone that just did my first fossil hunt ever less than a week ago I didn’t think of it. 

this picture is “the bone that got away” and crumbled in my hands when trying to remove. next time I will be more prepared so that doesn't happen again

IMG_4293.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Alberta_Cretaceous said:

“the bone that got away”

Paraloid is your best friend with this stuff. For consolation in the field, an eye dropper works well so you can really soak the specimen 

27 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Paraloid is your best friend with this stuff. For consolation in the field, an eye dropper works well so you can really soak the specimen 

thanks, my understanding is I can also use butvar instead? i have reviewed the b-72 vs b-76 and most seem to lean to b-76

so I drop it on to soak it, bones like in my picture while in the field, the brushes might be for fine work once I am home?

also the eye droppers have rubber as the bulb doesnt that disintegrate from acetone?

Edited by Alberta_Cretaceous

Paraloid B72 or Butvar B76 are the two preferred materials for consolidation. Paraloid has a slightly higher temperature stability and hardness but they are comparable.

The acetone will not dissolve the dropper bulb. Unless you intentionally over fill the dropper, the solution never fills past the glass. 

I heavily consolidate in the field for fragile specimens as these two materials are easily removed with acetone once you’re back in the lab and ready to prep.

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Paraloid B72 or Butvar B76 are the two preferred materials for consolidation. Paraloid has a slightly higher temperature stability and hardness but they are comparable.

The acetone will not dissolve the dropper bulb. Unless you intentionally over fill the dropper, the solution never fills past the glass. 

I heavily consolidate in the field for fragile specimens as these two materials are easily removed with acetone once you’re back in the lab and ready to prep.

thank you, your advice is greatly appreciated. I have ordered b-76 and I am going to get a glass dropper for consolidating/soaking bones in the field so they don’t crumble.