Help on IDing various Ammonite fossils for a museum!

Buder

Hello everyone I am a docent at the Mace Brown Museum of Natural History at the College of Charleston. We are undergoing a lot of remodeling and reorganizing of our collections and discovered that multiple of our ammonites on display had not been previously identified! I cannot provide a proper scale/measurements due to them being mounted on the wall and various other ammonites blocking my path to them since the previous curators had put them here we are unable to find any geologic information regarding these specimens. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated in identifying these ammonites as ammonites are not our strong suites over here! Sorry if any of the photos are less than ideal quality the zoom on my phone I used to take pictures is not being the best right now. Thanks in advance everyone!

Additional information that I can provide however is that most of our ammonite specimens on display are from the Cretaceous with only a few belonging to the Jurassic, so I would imagine it to be most likely that these specimens I have photographed originate from the Cretaceous. 

- Cole 

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

Sorry to maybe have to disappoint you on that first one. It looks to be completely carved from what was originally probably a badly preserved Moroccan ammonite (possibly Mantelliceras) of indeterminable species in my opinion, since all determining traits have been carved away. The 2nd to last one might be a Douvilleiceras and the ones in the last photo are both Parkinsonia sp., probably from Madagascar. It really is a shame that your predecessors didn't see the necessity of identifying them and noting their provenance.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Sorry to maybe have to disappoint you on that first one. It's completely carved from what was originally probably a badly preserved Moroccan ammonite (possibly Mantelliceras) of undeterminable species in my opinion, since all determining traits have been carved away. The 2nd to last one might be a Douvilleiceras and the ones in the last photo are both Parkinsonia sp., probably from Madagascar.

Wow, thanks for the quick response! Shame that the first one is carved, but I appreciate the help in identifying the others! 

8 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Sorry to maybe have to disappoint you on that first one. It looks to be completely carved from what was originally probably a badly preserved Moroccan ammonite (possibly Mantelliceras) of undeterminable species in my opinion, since all determining traits have been carved away. The 2nd to last one might be a Douvilleiceras and the ones in the last photo are both Parkinsonia sp., probably from Madagascar. It really is a shame that your predecessors didn't see the necessity of identifying them and noting their provenance.

Why would you say the one has been carved? I  see that the end appears to be, and the furthest end appears to be. I  am not disagreeing with you ... just want to know what caused you to say this?! Thank you!!

21 minutes ago, Newbie_1971 said:

Why would you say the one has been carved? I  see that the end appears to be, and the furthest end appears to be. I  am not disagreeing with you ... just want to know what caused you to say this?! Thank you!!

Obvious tool marks, and strange looking sections of the ammonite. Look closely at the lines. They are pretty obviously carved.

Looks nearly completely carved.  It may have followed some original lines, but there should not be such a stark color distinction between the sections.

IMG_2644.jpg.b69010b2a2652b5a1b657682dbee5733.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Obvious tool marks, and strange looking sections of the ammonite. Look closely at the lines. They are pretty obviously carved.

Looks nearly completely carved.  It may have followed some original lines, but there should not be such a stark color distinction between the sections.

IMG_2644.jpg.b69010b2a2652b5a1b657682dbee5733.jpg

Thank you! I  appreciate it. Like you know, I  am fairly new to this ... just trying to learn.

2 hours ago, Newbie_1971 said:

Tim beat me to it and took the words right out of my fingers.

• Enjoyed 2

I suppose I could also add that the two small ones in the 2nd photo are indeterminable for me without knowing the exact provenance.

• I found this Informative 1

That first one is enhanced to the point of absurdity when it comes to a specimen displayed in a museum -- destroy it. It looks like a fairly common one from Morocco that can be purchased online for a reasonable price, and can be had with provenance, unimproved.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo
  • I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!