Journal article ask

nerdsforprez

I am not sure if it is appropriate to ask this here, but here it goes.  I thought it might best work in the "questions and answers" sub forum but looks like I am too much of a newbie to post there.  

Anyways, is it ever appropriate to ask for journal articles here?  My profession is in the medical community, and I can either get any article I need through interlibrary loans or due to the subscriptions the medical center I work  at has, or the University affiliate.  However, I recognize biological journals are a different story.  

Of course I could buy the articles, but as I get deeper and deeper in this hobby I find myself reading alot, and each article is 30-40 bucks.  Would like to find alternate ways of getting access if possible.  

TB

You could focus on just open source articles, which do exist in this field. You could also keep an eye on whenever the bigger journal aggregates like JSTOR puts out a temporary free promotion. Google Scholar can also direct you to papers made available as open source, ResearchGate, or Academia.edu. 

Sharing paywalled articles in full without the explicit consent of the publisher would not be allowed here, as that might subject the Forum to legal issues.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You can also contact the authors. I’m pretty sure it’s not a breach of journal copyright to be able to provide a copy when someone enquires via email. Back in the day we used to get paper copies of our papers to hand out whenever we were asked. 

That very much depends on the journal. There are some I've published in that pretty much restrict me from distributing copies (and I do remember/miss the days of getting offprints to hand around!). 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

That very much depends on the journal. There are some I've published in that pretty much restrict me from distributing copies (and I do remember/miss the days of getting offprints to hand around!). 

Excellent point - I was about to add this info to my post.  I was checking out the latest policies. Different publishers have different policies. some require sharing physical copies only. I always reach out to the authors if I’m really interested in the paper anyway. Especially if it’s about something I’ve found. 

Edited by Doctor Mud
  • I found this Informative 1

Get a free account with Jstor. 100 articles a month are free. Give them a valid email and make a password: easy. You can look at Journal of Paleontology.

https://www.jstor.org

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

TY everyone for the replies.  I will give a go to several recommendations made here...