MamaThor

• New Members

Found what looks like a shark tooth in a layered creek gorge in Montgomery County NY. This was found up- creek from limestone and dolomite creek bed. Layers of rock containing fossils and separated by thin shale layers.  The thicker layers of rock have high concentrations of brachiopods, trilobites and other Ordovician era fossils. This fossil does not appear to belong here. 

IMG_1905.jpeg

IMG_1901.jpeg

IMG_1899.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

IMG_1892.jpeg

A bit challenging for me to make out, but I wouldn't entirely rule out fragment of the doublure of an asaphid trilobite.

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It's certainly an interesting find.  The fossil seems to run on into places still covered by matrix; my wish would be for some good professional preparation, to get it entirely exposed an clean.  There seems a fair chance the resemblance to a sharks tooth might be just due to the more exposed portions, and purely fortuitous- and maybe misleading.

But - interesting!

• I found this Informative 1

On 9/5/2024 at 1:09 PM, Kane said:

A bit challenging for me to make out, but I wouldn't entirely rule out fragment of the doublure of an asaphid trilobite.

I had to look up doublure.

https://www.trilobites.info/trilovent.htm

IMG_1661.png

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• New Members
5 hours ago, Philip Rutter 2 said:

It's certainly an interesting find.  The fossil seems to run on into places still covered by matrix; my wish would be for some good professional preparation, to get it entirely exposed an clean.  There seems a fair chance the resemblance to a sharks tooth might be just due to the more exposed portions, and purely fortuitous- and maybe misleading.

But - interesting!

Where would I look to find someone who can professionally expose this? 

My first thought is a museum with paleontology; but it might be possible for a jeweler that does actual lapidary?  And I'm totally guessing!  Other folks here will have more certain information.  :-)  Best of luck with it!