Annularia from South Korea

Mochaccino

Hello,

Could I get a species ID on these Annularia leaves from South Korea? I am pretty clueless when it comes to plant material.

It is a split pair, and the three whorls together measure about 5 cm across.

Provenance:

Hambaeksan, Taebaek, Gangwon province, South Korea

Thanks!

574-Pla-Pen-nan-Ann_1.PNG

574-Pla-Pen-nan-Ann_2.PNG

Edited by Mochaccino
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

Have a look at THIS PDF.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Have a look at THIS PDF.

Thank you, I did come across that paper and am thinking the best candidates are A. gracilescens, A. stellata, A. pseudostellata, and what is described as "Annularia sp.", but I have a hard time going beyond that.

That is a gorgeous example! Sorry, I'm of no help with an ID. The A.stellata forms I'm familiar with didnt have that very sharp pointed tip to the leaves.

I would count the # of leaves for each whorl and take some specific measurements of width and length and go thru the description of each species (some have very specific leaf counts and shapes, etc) to see if you can narrow it down further. I think Tim had worked on some of the Calamites in the recent past and may easily know what you have so I'd give him a chance to respond. 

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 3

It has less than 23 leaves per whorl so my best guess is Annularia pseudostellata.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

13 hours ago, Plantguy said:

That is a gorgeous example! Sorry, I'm of no help with an ID. The A.stellata forms I'm familiar with didnt have that very sharp pointed tip to the leaves.

I would count the # of leaves for each whorl and take some specific measurements of width and length and go thru the description of each species (some have very specific leaf counts and shapes, etc) to see if you can narrow it down further. I think Tim had worked on some of the Calamites in the recent past and may easily know what you have so I'd give him a chance to respond. 

Regards, Chris 

10 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

It has less than 23 leaves per whorl so my best guess is Annularia pseudostellata.

Thanks so much for your help. My specimens have about 18 leaves, and the description in that paper says A. stellata can have 16-24, and it also says A. pseudostellata tends to have less leaves per whorl and more thin, pointed "awl-shaped" leaves . But there are figured examples of A. pseudostellata that have 19 leaves, and I have no idea how to judge "more thin/awl-shaped", so you can understand my confusion! But based on your judgment it does seem like my specimen in an example of A. pseudostellata.

Nice specimen

Don't see fossils from S Korea on offer very often 

• Thank You 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector