Reconstructing Globidens in the Ozan formation, Campanian

Ekhyl

• New Members

Hi everyone !

This is my first post here so first of all I'll introduce myself : my name is Nathan Dehaut, I'm a herpetology researcher, fossil collector and paleoillustrator living in France.

I recently got the chance to create an illustration for a new publication on Globidens remains found in the Ozan formation of Texas (New remains of the mosasaur Globidens alabamaensis from the North Sulphur River of Texas, Rempert et al., 2024).

This reconstruction includes several molluscs species that can be found in the Ozan (notably in the North Sulfur River) such as the ammonites Baculites, Pachydiscus and Scaphites, and the bivalve Exogyra and Inoceramus. The environment was reconstructed as an oyster reef.

Let me know if you have any questions/comments !

Nathan

globidens4.3.jpg

Edited by Ekhyl
  • Enjoyed 12
  • Thank You 1

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Nice work.

Is there evidence that these creatures were so bulky?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• New Members
7 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Nice work.

Is there evidence that these creatures were so bulky?

Thanks!

Not that I'm aware of, skeletal remains are far and few between and post-cranial even more so.

Squamates are super variable when it comes to bulk, especially if you take into account gravid specimens so this isn't out of the realm of possibilities!

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the forum! I really love the artwork you did for our article, and am excited to see what you'll share with us next! :D

By the way, if people are interested in more information on this particular article, the post announcing it can be found here:

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I've just started getting back into art/drawing, so I really enjoyed seeing this.  GREAT job!!!!  I like the color usage, and how you masterfully gave the illusion of great detail- I've found that to be very hard.   Question- I assume this is digital?  If so, do you happen to also do paleoart in traditional mediums?

Again, great artwork!  Thanks for sharing

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Glad to see you on the forum, this is a fun place and I hope you get well acquainted with it!

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

I noticed this painting in an article about the new globidens paper. I love the style and color choices and would love to see more of your work.

Welcome to the forum!

That Paleo-art is beautiful, I like the choice of lighting and colors! 

I am also into herpetology (reptiles).