Help ID a Moroccan Fossil jaw?

MrGiggles008

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me ID what I though was a mososaur jaw when I purchased it. All I know is it comes from morocco. Wish I knew more on this one.

20240906_202204.jpg

20240906_202211.jpg

20240906_202234.jpg

20240906_202311.jpg

20240906_202359.jpg

20240906_202406.jpg

20240906_202452.jpg

20240906_202608.jpg

20240906_202625.jpg

"What I thought was a mosasaur"

What makes you think it's not a mosasaur?  no expert here but that's what it looks like to me, others will correct me if I'm wrong, however.

Kind Regards,

Kohler Palaleontology

Just now, Kohler Palaeontology said:

"What I thought was a mosasaur"

What makes you think it's not a mosasaur?  no expert here but that's what it looks like to me, others will correct me if I'm wrong, however.

Kind Regards,

Kohler Palaleontology

Ya im just unsure. The shape of the smaller end just doesn't match anything I've searched. Teeth also don't have the obvious mosasaur look that you typically see (maybe im just getting caught up on size and color though). I also don't see any of the little pock marks (sensory receptors?) that run along the typical mosasaur jaw. I originally thought this could be the top of a mosasaur jaw, but the more i look at it, it could be a lower left section? I'm just not knowledgeable enough to be certain.

Yeah, I noticed the teeth look a little strange, but I have seen a lot of variation with mosasaur teeth.  there might be some of those sensory receptors still present, I see at least two, maybe a couple more.  I am very certain it's not crocodilian.  I still think it's mosasaur though.  Agreed, the smaller end does look a little strange.  Might have to leave it up to the experts.

...oops, just noticed I spelt "palalentology" instead of palaeontology...  My bad.

Kind Regards,

Kohler Palaeontology

1 minute ago, Kohler Palaeontology said:

Yeah, I noticed the teeth look a little strange, but I have seen a lot of variation with mosasaur teeth.  there might be some of those sensory receptors still present, I see at least two, maybe a couple more.  I am very certain it's not crocodilian.  I still think it's mosasaur though.  Agreed, the smaller end does look a little strange.  Might have to leave it up to the experts.

...oops, just noticed I spelt "palalentology" instead of palaeontology...  My bad.

Kind Regards,

Kohler Palaeontology

Now that you mention it, I do see some of those marks. Mostly near the smaller end. I think you are right on the mosasaur call. Now my hope would be if someone knows what type this one might be and if they could confirm that this is the lower left jaw section as opposed to some top down view of an upper section of jaw. Thanks for the responses!

You're welcome.  The marks are definitely mostly on the smaller end, however there may be more on the larger end.  Now that I think of it, it could be some type of whale, but I still think Mosasaur.

I found this interesting, it might help. 

I am no expert either but I don’t recognize the bone structure.  Never saw an upturned snout on a mosasaur.  Dont see nostrils dont see orbits.  Sorry 

Edited by val horn
Spellimg

looking at the texture now, the texture on the skull reminds me of fish.  It might be a large carnivorous fish.

7 hours ago, Kohler Palaeontology said:

looking at the texture now, the texture on the skull reminds me of fish.  It might be a large carnivorous fish.

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like a fish dentary.

I thought fish could be possible too. Originally thought the size was a little large for that, but I don't know much on fish fossils from morocco other than enchodus.