Alberta Paleontological Society fossil collection scans!

Joy_Fossils

Hi everyone!

My son and I are members of the Alberta Paleontological Society (APS), and my son made a really cool contribution to the APS! Last Decemeber he proposed the idea of making some 3D scans of the APS fossil collection, and recently all of the scans went up on the website! The level of detail in the scans are not good enough for scientific standards, but they are perfect for public education, which is one of the main goals of the society! If you have any free time, check them out!

https://albertapaleo.org/resources/fossilcollection

• Enjoyed 4

even though I live on the other side of the world, Alberta's Dinosaurs always have, and probably always will be my favorite and biggest interest.  So, this is super cool!

• Thank You 1

Very good. It was however just by luck that I discovered that one can enlarge the scans by scrolling. Maybe they should make a notice about that?

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

6 hours ago, Joy_Fossils said:

Hi everyone!

My son and I are members of the Alberta Paleontological Society (APS), and my son made a really cool contribution to the APS! Last Decemeber he proposed the idea of making some 3D scans of the APS fossil collection, and recently all of the scans went up on the website! The level of detail in the scans are not good enough for scientific standards, but they are perfect for public education, which is one of the main goals of the society! If you have any free time, check them out!

https://albertapaleo.org/resources/fossilcollection

wow, nicely done! I tried it some minutes ago but cannot find out how to navigate back to the overview. When I open on of the scanned fossils I can study it, turn, scroll, scrap. Everyting works great. But, where can I go back to the overview? thanks!

Unbenannt.JPG

4 hours ago, rocket said:

wow, nicely done! I tried it some minutes ago but cannot find out how to navigate back to the overview. When I open on of the scanned fossils I can study it, turn, scroll, scrap. Everyting works great. But, where can I go back to the overview? thanks!

Unbenannt.JPG

Thank you so much!!!! 

Yes, that is one of the problems that is still being worked out. There is supposed to be an ‘x’ on the top right of the scan window, but it doesn’t show up when using a computer to view the scans. The best way to exit viewing a scan is to press ‘escape’ on your keyboard. That should bring you back to the overview! there are still some changes going to be made (more specimen info will be added, as well as pictures of the many fossils that were not scanned), so feel free to check back on the page from time to time! 

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very good. It was however just by luck that I discovered that one can enlarge the scans by scrolling. Maybe they should make a notice about that?

I see. Thanks so much for your feedback! I will talk to the APS webmaster about putting some basic instructions on how to interact with the scans. Once again, thanks so much for the feedback!!

• Enjoyed 1

Quick update, a quick video tutorial on accessing and interacting with the scans that my son made for uploaded to the APS YouTube channel! 

Also, the specimen information for each scan just got added to the website! 

very cool.  A lot of work in there.   After I read about the esp button, the other addition I would make is to make the files bigger so the fossils are more visible.  I know.. a lot more work.  : )

• Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, jpc said:

very cool.  A lot of work in there.   After I read about the esp button, the other addition I would make is to make the files bigger so the fossils are more visible.  I know.. a lot more work.  : )

When you say make the files bigger, do you mean when viewing them? If so, and if you are viewing them on a computer, using your mouse scroll wheel should zoom in and out. If you are on a phone or tablet, you can pinch or zoom the scans, like Randyw said.  

There are still some changes to be made, namely adding a loading screen for the scans and putting some written instructions on how to interact with the scans! If you have any other suggestions, I would be very happy to hear them!

Edited by Joy_Fossils