Moth.11

Hi,

A little patience is needed, not everyone goes on the forum every day... And then I think that sharper and closer photos would facilitate the answers.

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Extant penguins are found in the Southern Hemisphere, with a large proportion of species being Antarctic or Sub-antarctic. 

From brief research online, Penguin fossils have only been found in New Zealand, and Antarctic. 

Another issue to consider is that now, Poland is landlocked. 

Not sure if the geography was different during Paleocene epoch, the time when first Penguin ancestors appeared. 

• I found this Informative 2

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

27 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Extant penguins are found in the Southern Hemisphere, with a large proportion of species being Antarctic or Sub-antarctic. 

From brief research online, Penguin fossils have only been found in New Zealand, and Antarctic. 

Another issue to consider is that now, Poland is landlocked. 

Not sure if the geography was different during Paleocene epoch, the time when first Penguin ancestors appeared. 

Paratethys ocean in Poland oligocene

Why are you focusing on penguins, in particular?

Have there been other penguin fossils found there?   :headscratch:

It definitely looks like a bird feather, but not sure feathers are identifiable down to genus or species level. :unsure:

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Why are you focusing on penguins, in particular?

Have there been other penguin fossils found there?   :headscratch:

It definitely looks like a bird feather, but not sure feathers are identifiable down to genus or species level. :unsure:

Penguin feather look like this fossil

8 hours ago, Rockwood said:

If I remember right, @Doctor Mud has experience with penguin fossils. 

I do thanks -_- We are fortunate to have an excellent penguin fossil record here extending back into the Paleocene. But no feathers. Others have mentioned the question of biogeography or have penguin fossils been found in this area. I’m not aware of any northern hemisphere penguin fossils. 
I also wouldn’t have thought you could I’d a feather as penguin. Having not been fortunate to deal with fossil feathers I’ve never thought about it. My instinct is no though.

So I would say bird feather is best you can do?

• I found this Informative 4

here’s a 2022 paper summarizing the penguin fossil record. No penguins from Poland 

https://www.mdpi.com/1424-2818/14/4/255

Evolutionary and Biogeographical History of Penguins (Sphenisciformes): Review of the Dispersal Patterns and Adaptations in a Geologic and Paleoecological Context

74B4BC41-D9CC-4C23-A733-55AA23F1125B.thumb.jpeg.3dc374b2646bd5a5e6a5a324ea2408ff.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Hi.

Although the question seems to be answered looking at the location, I do think modern penguin feathers have quite a distinct morphology.

https://phys.org/news/2015-10-closer-emperor-penguin-feathers-dispels.html

On the other hand, the variety of birds, and of feathers to each bird is so humungous that ID-ing that fossil to order-level is nothing I think possible.

Context says not a penguin, or a very far traveled one.

Best regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley